Europe's worst drivers - Flat in Fifth
Well I'm back in the UK. Only been here for <6 hours and I have to say that have seen more examples of downright dangerous, inconsiderate and bad driving in that time than seen over the last few weeks in quite a few countries. That included two bikers who deliberately put themselves in clear & present danger for the sake of saving 0.5 seconds on their journey.

Funnily enough, and with apologies to John S and pugugly, most of the really bad overseas examples were in BMWs, but we've been there before.

So: This house proposes the motion that on average the worst drivers in Europe are: The British. (closely followed by the Italians, but for different reasons)

Discuss/
Europe's worst drivers - budu
More precisely, Jaguar drivers. I speak from my earlier experiences as a taxi driver.
Europe's worst drivers - volvoman
I take it you didn't get to Slovakia then !
Europe's worst drivers - wemyss
I think I agree with you FIF but perhaps it's how we measure it and if there are any extenuating circumstances for the behaviour on our roads.
Researchers tell us that if they place rats in more and more crowded conditions they tend to get more and more aggressive and ant-social. Yes I know it's not a very nice comparison but the theory would probably relate to human behaviour.
So is it that the more our roads become overcrowded the more bad examples of good manners and curtesy we are bound to see.
My experience of driving on foreign roads (less conjestion) is that there appears to be less aggressive behaviour. But that could simply be a personal impression as I hear others say differently.
But yes.... my vote is for you.
Europe's worst drivers - BrianW
Which means, Alvin, that the more "traffic calming" you install the worse the driving gets?
Europe's worst drivers - PhilW
Sorry but without doubt the worst are Turks driving home for the summer from Germany and doing the whole trip with the minimum of stops and no sleep. In addition, their cars/vans are packed with passengers and with a fridge, hi-fi, TV, washing machine, dish-washer strapped to the roof. Of course, their acceleration and top speed is exactly the same as when the car is unladen(?) and therefore overtaking is no problem except that it takes at least three miles and is usually best attempted on single carriageways, at night and in thick fog.
Europe's worst drivers - borasport20
Fif -
firstly, welcome home (?)

secondly, we second your proposal.
I am no professional driver and I don't drive far these days, but I've driven in and through (in clockwise order !) Iceland, Faroes, Holland, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, the component parts of yugoslavia, Greece, Spain, Portugal and France

And at the very simplest level, there is no investment in driving standards, no positive policing of traffic law, which is indicative of a wider problem - as i think i've posted elsewhere recently, in some areas, over 50% of fines go unpaid. Have a job, a legit car and go to fast past a camera on an empty road at 3 am and you can lose your licence (and no, I haven't had a speeding ticket for 20 yrs). No licence, no insurance, nick a car, go as fast as you want and cause damage and mayhem, and unless your caught at the scene of your inevitable accident, then its to much trouble for somebody to come and look for you - to little possibility of 'a sucessful outcome', and if you do get done, just don't pay the fine, which is the most common result of most motoring offences

And I hate it. Partly because I try my best, partly because its turning me into a ranting Bogush.

I go back to the time we were driving back through yugoslavia, 20+ yrs ago. Driver's hours regs had just come in and we were scared witless about observance. The drivers hours were up near Split and we stopped to change drivers. unkown to us, that afternoon, Tito was opening the Mediterranean games a few miles away. We stopped near an olive grove, but a policeman emerged, and told us by means of his submachinegun, that drivers hours regulations were suspended while we ******* out of the area. in the face of that sort of law enforecement, you do what you're told.

I have to grow old - but I don't have to grow up
Europe's worst drivers - Dwight Van Driver
FiF

Just wonder that residing in Sveden you are used to its system of driving and absorb the habits/useage.

Returning to UK you are immediately outside this system and habits which appears alien to you.

If you are here for 6 months solid come back and report?

Not very well explained but I feel sure you get the drift.

DVD
Europe's worst drivers - Dwight Van Driver
FiF

Just wonder that residing in Sveden you are used to its system of driving and absorb the habits/useage.

Returning to UK you are immediately outside this system and habits which appears alien to you.

If you are here for 6 months solid come back and report?

Not very well explained but I feel sure you get the drift.

DVD
Europe's worst drivers - M.M
>>residing in Sveden...

He wishes DVD!

MM
Europe's worst drivers - joe
The general opinion here seems to be that we are the worst drivers. Figures for death and injury do not support this I believe.
Europe's worst drivers - TrevorP
I concur that standards appear to be declining.

But the worst?

Have any of you tried Paris or Rome?
"Interesting".

So, the oft-quoted cause for this is plod NOT around to
"breathe down necks"

- what happened to the old "thinking for yourself"?

From the phrasing of many of the queries here,
there appears to be a sliding from a "what is safe / sensible?" to "what can I get away with?"
Europe's worst drivers - terryb
Trev
Don't forget Brussels. The traffic system seems to be based on going round in circles until you disappear up you own fundament. So it seems that's where the locals keep their brains when driving.

In fact, even more dangerous are Belgians when driving outside Belgium. Scary!
:o)
Terry
Europe's worst drivers - Nsar
Brits by a long chalk.
Inept, timid, petty-minded, ill-informed and most inexcusably of all, self-centered.
Apart from me of course
Could be something to do with the Belgian roads, once they get out of the country the Belgians can go 30 mph faster without the car shaking to bits.
It amused me that even on the motorways, as you cross the border into Belgium the road surface noticeably and instantly deteriorates.
Europe's worst drivers - Toad, of Toad Hall.
From the phrasing of many of the queries here,
there appears to be a sliding from a "what is safe
/ sensible?" to "what can I get away with?"

I think people take their own safety *very* seriously.

I only have to look at my door pillar and think about my head slamming into it to ensure I never pull out on anyone...
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
Europe's worst drivers - No Do$h
I only have to look at my door pillar and think
about my head slamming into it to ensure I never pull
out on anyone...

I only have to look at my door pillar and think of the side-mounted airbags in my car as I pull out on everyone.

Safety features have, perversely, heightened the feeling of safety whilst instilling a somewhat cavalier approach to other road users. My experience has shown that more affluent countries often have the most arrogant approach on the road, whereas the poorer countries are simply reckless but in an unselfish sort of way.....
Europe's worst drivers - CM
Generally I would agree that the driving standards in the UK leave a lot to be desired.

BUT when the weather is very bad fog, v. heavy rain, snow, ice etc, I think that the standard has got a lot better and is in fact much better than somewhere like France. Sure you still get a percentage that do not change their driving habits with bad road conditions, but the French still seem to tail gate each other at 100mph+ when the roads are awful!
Europe's worst drivers - joe
The other thing the French do much more than us is get incredibly close to your rear bumper prior to overtaking. I mean like 2 or 3 yards. On a twisty road, they can sit there for ages.

One thing about French drivers I like is their range of hand signals. To let you out of a junction, (or acknowledge you when you do so) they have a really cool of just raising their finger from the steering wheel. When they have cut you up and know that it is their fault, I like the way they point their finger at their head like a pistol.

I have to say, if our roads were as empty, well laid out and maintained as in France then driving woule be a much less stressful experience here. There would be much less impatience, road rage, tailgating etc. Having pulled in to a French service station and had a delicious lunch (instead of an overpriced sandwich and foul cup of tea)one can then pootle off feeling that all is right with the world. They are much better geared up for kids too.
Coming off the ferry and hitting the M20, you immediately notice the poor surface, dirty road signs and congestion. All a bit depressing.
Europe's worst drivers - Oz
Maybe it's the feeling of divine protection? - I remember seeing on the Amalfi road near Sorrento (which can be hairy at the best of times), in a single carriageway coastal road tunnel, the local drivers pull out to overtake without any obvious gap in front to pull back into, and in the face of oncoming traffic. No doubt using one hand to sound the horn and gesture to other drivers, and the other to cross themselves.
I vowed never to drive in Italy - but a few years later in Tuscany the whole road system between Florence and Siena seemed politeness itself. Just as well because our hired Fiat Brava had only one working cylinder (or so it seemed).
Oz (as was)
Maybe it's the feeling of divine protection? - I remember seeing on the Amalfi road near Sorrento (which can be hairy at the best of times), in a single carriageway coastal road tunnel, the local drivers pull out to overtake without any obvious gap in front to pull back into, and in the face of oncoming traffic. No doubt using one hand to sound the horn and gesture to other drivers, and the other to cross themselves.
I vowed never to drive in Italy - but a few years later in Tuscany the whole road system between Florence and Siena seemed politeness itself. Just as well because our hired Fiat Brava had only one working cylinder (or so it seemed).
Oz (as was)
Sorry for double post - web site access glitch. :-)
Oz (as was)
Europe's worst drivers - CM
one thing that the French do which we don't is on their autoroutes they do not pull out if there is a car coming up behind them at a greater speed. they generally apply their brakes until they can pull out without holding faster traffic up.

I do feel that people's opinion of French roads is a little blinkered by their privately owned and operated roads (ie the autoroutes). The "free" roads can be just as busy as our A roads but generally have a better surface and less road works. Some of the roads in towns are incredibly bad and make ours look fantastic.

One thing that is common between Fance and us is that there are a lot of middle lane hogs (in the few places where there are 3 lanes)!
Europe's worst drivers - No Do$h
I've only limited experience of driving in France but the few thousand miles I've completed have been a delight on the autoroutes and hell in the towns. Somebody needs to teach them what a road sign should contain (unambiguous information) and not to site them at the junction, but preferably a short way before.

Rouen. What an automotive disaster that is. As for the Periphique, well my periph was certainly eeeking.

Shame les flics insist on using plain cars and seem to target cars with roofboxes as they can guarantee they will contain tourists. I watched in amusement last year as a fellow Brit got pulled at about 85, having been followed by the Surete for a couple of Ks whilst locals whizzed past at 95+.
Europe's worst drivers - Clear Spot
The statistics say that the Brits are not that bad, but I feel much safer in France and most of western Europe. Is it because I am never sure exactlt what a Brit diriver is going to do.
E.g. On the Peripherique I know that if I signal to change lanes no-one is going to gracefully slow down to let me do so in front of them. I am expected to just go fo it.
In U.k. if I signal in similar circs I no idea what the reaction is going to be. e.g - flash to let me in, totally ignore me, slow down to let me in but don't let me know (not always easy to tell this esp. when with long outfit)
Europe's worst drivers - volvoman
My experience of driving in Europe (France, Spain, Austria, Greece, Slovakia, Holland, Belgium) is that there are awful drivers everywhere but other factors (e.g. law enforcement, vehicle roadworthiness, the state of the roads, traffic volumes etc.) combine to either mitigate or exacerbate the problems they create.

What I can say for certain is that whilst working in Turkey, Abu Dhabi and Tunisia (in both major cities and very remote areas) and travelling quite extensively in Slovakia, highly dangerous, almost suicidal, driving was
almost endemic.

Are we in the UK better or worse drivers than them ? I don't know, but I know where I feel safer being both a driver and a pedestrian.
Europe's worst drivers - FergusTheDog
There are bad drivers everywhere but we have more than the rest and we have more who are arrogant and half-witted.

Next worst in Europe must be the Greeks and then the Spanish.

Most courteous must be the Swiss.
Europe's worst drivers - Micky
Depends how the statistics are measured

www.eltis.org/en/conceptd.htm

Not the most up-to-date site.

If lowest road fatality rate is an indicator, UK drivers are amongst the best.

Maltese are diabolical (but an exciting place to drive). UK roads always appear v. disciplined after trips to southern Europe.
Europe's worst drivers - cockle {P}
'Europe's Worst Driver of the Year' now is that a programme begging to be made by Jeremy Clarkson or what!

I reckon it would make cracking TV, what with JC's tolerant attitude to foreigners and all.
Cockle
Europe's worst drivers - patpending
interesting topic, particularly around "what do you EXPECT the other road user to do".

Where road conditions stay the same for years, and roads are used by pretty much the same people, things tend to work well. Until a few years ago, it was always a pleasure motoring through France on the RNs, bearing in mind only that especially in towns stuff from the right had priority.

Here are some cases where the situation has changed and can be less predictable:

1) Eastern European (especially Polish, Hungarian, Lithuanian and Belorussian) lorry drivers on unrestricted two-lane autobahns. particularly the east-west A6 (Paris) Saarbrücken - Nürnberg (Prague) tend to pull out first and ask questions later. Mixes badly with the "if I have a fast car I can always overtake" code of German BMW drivers.

2) The French and the East Germans driving higher performance cars. It's quite a move from an Ami 6 or a Trabant to a standard modern family saloon. (a move which in East Germany can often sadly end up in a roadside tree).

3) Roundabouts, say 10 years ago a problem in France (now normal there) but being introduced to Germany.

pat
Europe's worst drivers - Flat in Fifth
So to try and sum up is it a case of the expected behaviour standard varying with the sophistication [1] of the surroundings?

In other words if the place is a total tip then one is not surprised to encounter an ancient Bedford lorry loaded to 2*GVW being driven by a half wit. But if the place is, on the face of it, civilised, high tech whatever then expectations are higher?

So is it a case then, to ask another controversial question, that the UK driving standards are sinking to match the fading infrastructure?

Incidentally I suspect that driving in capital cities could almost be considered as a different category, breed apart in many cases. Like the idea for a Jezza C show though.

[1] sophistication is not the right word but can't think of another just now.
Europe's worst drivers - NWS
You have detected a latent racism at work here, which is intriguing as a way to explain the British attitude to driving ie "everyone is inferior to me, who is perfect". I'd not thought of it that way before.
Europe's worst drivers - wemyss
Come on fellas lighten up, this is only a friendly discussion of how we all see things differently sometimes worse and sometimes better.
Different nationalities do have a difference in attitudes and this reflects in their driving.
Sometimes amusing... for example I always look on in wonderment when I see a traffic jam in Limassol. All the drivers for half a mile back constantly use their hooter while carrying on their conversations with passengers. Its done automatically with no apparent anger but with perhaps the idea that it will clear more quickly by doing this. In a hire car I don't follow suit but perhaps if I lived there it would be a "do as the Romans" job and happily blast away with the rest.
I recon you've got a point there, FiF.

It has been shown that the standard of behaviour broadly matches the surroundings, apart from the actions of total airheads, and it makes sense that this should apply equally on the roads.
Europe's worst drivers - THe Growler
My Belgian friend says here in Belgium we drive fast and eat slow but in America they drive slow and eat fast. Belgians get my vote if you're only talking Europe.