Renault Laguna - 130% increase from AA - stick to the RAC - HomerML

Are they serious? Just got my renewal letter from the AA. This year up from £160 to a whopping £349 ! ! ! Yes £349, not a typo. I rang them up and they gave a £60 discount. WOW. A huge increase and they didn't even pay for my breakdown repair to my turbo or even when cooler pipe blew. I think they are trying to get rid of cars older than 10 years old. I would not recommend the AA at all. Even the CEO of the AA is not interested. Total waste of space.

Renault Laguna - 130% increase from AA - stick to the RAC - SteveLee
My AA cover costs £65 per year - why? Coz I've never needed to call them. You've been loaded because you've called them - the make of car is irrelevant. How do I know? The cars I've owned since I've had AA cover are, Jaguar, Jaguar, Citroen, Range Rover - all expensive breakdown liabilities on paper - 'cept I've never needed them.
Renault Laguna - 130% increase from AA - stick to the RAC - RobJP

The OP doesn't have creakdown cover with the AA, they have a used car warranty with the AA. That's why they're complaining that the AA wouldn't cover those repairs that are mentioned - though I seem to recall the details on one of those repairs, and the OP didn't follow the warranty conditions at all (didn't make the old parts available for inspection).

Unfortunately, the Renault Laguna from that era is one of the most notorious cars for 'issues' - most notably with electrics. That's why they are so cheap on the secondhand market.

It was well known in the motor trade a few years ago that problems with those Lagunas could (and regularly would) wipe out any profit margin, and as such you'll find that very few places will offer more than a token amount in part-ex, unless you're buying something with a very nice profit margin, or you're buying something that the garage is desperate to get rid of.

I seem to recall the OP (in one of his previous complaints about his breakdown warranty) mentioning that he was taking this to the ombudsman. He was informed by the HJ forumites that, as he had not followed the conditions of the warranty, we didn't feel he had much chance, and that most people felt the AA's position was reasonable.

It was noticed that the result of the ombudsmans decision was never posted ... I wonder why ?

Renault Laguna - 130% increase from AA - stick to the RAC - oldroverboy.

It is a fewyears since I have had need of a breakdown recovery, Last year got Green flag for £58 inc europe as online deal, but this year uk only was £58 the same, so got uk recovery and onward travel for £29 via a comparison website.

Repeated for those who don't know, but a used car warranty is expensive toilet paper unless it is manufacturer backed from a main dealer, and even then it is full of exclusions.

Renault Laguna - 130% increase from AA - stick to the RAC - skidpan

We have Aviva breakdown cover. Since we also have our cars insurred with Aviva we get a small discount on the breakdown cover but its not huge. Our policy which is called Joint/Personal covers myself and the Mrs regardless of the car we are driving and also covers us should we be passenger in a car that breaks down. The policy covers us for breakdown, recovery, at home and onward travel but since we don't go abroad we have not included foreign travel. The cost for this year was £51.

Used it once, RAC were with us within 30 minutes and took car to the local indy.

Would only ever buy an extended warranty from the manufacturer. When we bought the Leon last year we extended the warranty from 3 to 5 years but you had to be careful. Take out the warranty when you bought the car and the T & C's for years 4 & 5 were exactly the same as for the first 3 years. Wait until the car was 3 years old and then take out the policy, it was more expensive, there were loads of exclusions and there was also a £200 excess per claim to pay. I accept they will have my money in the bank for 3 years but at todays interest rates they won't make much (and I won't loose much) but at least we will have a warranty that is worth the paper its written on if we need it.

Renault Laguna - 130% increase from AA - stick to the RAC - skidpan

and as such you'll find that very few places will offer more than a token amount in part-ex, unless you're buying something with a very nice profit margin, or you're buying something that the garage is desperate to get rid of.

Some years ago I was changing my Puma, PX was an option but private sale would be preffered. Car was bought form Motorpoint and was a German import to full UK spec, 6 1/2 years old, FSH and only 43,000 miles.

Expected an issue PX ing since it was not a UK car but all the local garages appeared not to bother and give a really good price. The Honda dealer went one step further, he basically said he would take anything in PX except a Renault.

Renault Laguna - 130% increase from AA - stick to the RAC - gordonbennet

So the OP, despite apparent non service from the warranty provider, went as far as phoning up to get a better price at renewal time.

Is this the motoring equivalent of voting for the same people time after disapointing time and expecting a different result?

Renault Laguna - 130% increase from AA - stick to the RAC - RobJP

So the OP, despite apparent non service from the warranty provider, went as far as phoning up to get a better price at renewal time.

Is this the motoring equivalent of voting for the same people time after disapointing time and expecting a different result?

No. This is a case of the OP, having failed to follow the terms and conditions of the warranty when making a claim, taking the opportunity to badmouth the company he's been with for the past year. For the claim, he got a recon turbocharger fitted, sent back the old one, and only then got in touch with the warranty company, asking them to pay out.

Not really surprising that they refused the claim, was it ?

Edited by Avant on 23/06/2014 at 15:59

Renault Laguna - 130% increase from AA - stick to the RAC - gordonbennet

I get the gist and no, the way he went about the claim was never going to work, what i don't understand is why he would consider renewing the policy at all including phoning them as he was obviously disappointed previously...unless that was just to add another dubious chapter to the previous lesson in how not to make a claim on your warranty.:-)

Won't make a scrap of difference to any of us, doubt more than a handful of us would consider buying any warranty that wasn't a genuine makers offering, such as our mate Skidpans choice above.

Edited by gordonbennet on 23/06/2014 at 13:35