Ford Focus - Ford Focus Timing Belt - EmTeeZie

I have a 52 plate ford focus zeta 1.6 160. Travelling back from Birmingham to Liverpool my car suddenly lost power as if I'd stalled at 50mph I was attended by AA who diagnosed the problem as being a broken timing/cambelt. When I came to do the repair I found the belt had not actually snapped but all of the belt teeth that were at the crank shaft had been ripped off, leaving that section of the belt smooth. I have now replaced the belt and tried to start the car but both serpentine belt systems (timing and fan belt) are jolting as if trying to turn over, then there is a single click and they both seem to seize in place.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus Timing Belt - freman

My condolences MTZ.

Looks like oyu have lost the timing between the crankshaft & the camshaft & the valves have had a meeting with pistons.

Also it may have been a loss of lubrication to the camshaft so that siezed causing the damage you have described.

HTH

Freman

Ford Focus - Ford Focus Timing Belt - Manatee

Silly question, but did you actually reset the valve timing? The belt, and the camshaft, has stopped when the teeth stripped but the crank and the pistons have carried on...

I think some Zetecs are interference, some not. But even if yours is undamaged it won't run with valve timing miles out.

Actually I suspect the fact that it sounds locked means it has some damage to valves.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus Timing Belt - EmTeeZie

I thought as just wanted some proper advice on whether it would be valve or piston damage or both. Was I'd got away with it because the belt hadn't snapped. Thanks for the fast response.