ford focs 1.6 zetec - clutch problems - paula59

I purchased a 59 plate focus in january 2014 spent over £8000, had it for 5mnths now and the clutch has malfunctioned. Im able to get gears but it hasnt got any acceleration. When i purchased the car the paperwork i got with it the mot had 40,000+ miles that was done in oct 13, but when i picked the car up it had 43,000+, now is has 50,000+. I called fords where i got the car from and they basically told me that coz id done alot of mileage wot do i expect......now im not being funny but i no some other people with a focus and they havent had this problem. Please could someone help me sort this out coz fords r telling me that i have to pay which i think its wrong. If id know there was a problem i wouldnt have brought the car!!!! Fords tell me that the warrenty doesnt cover the clutch. They havent even taken the car in to check it they just gave me a quote for a new clutch -£850.00...

ford focs 1.6 zetec - clutch problems - Galaxy

I'm very sorry to have to tell you that a clutch isn't normally covered by any used car warranty, even a manufacturers one. They are considered to be a wear-and-tear item.

From what you say I assume the clutch is slipping. Do you try to accelerate but the speed of the car doesn't increase? Is this accompanied by a rise in the engine revs? If the answer to both of these is "Yes" then I'm afraid your clutch is slipping.

If you can't get it repaired under warranty, which is extremely unlikely, I'd try to find a small local independent garage and ask them to give you an opinion as to what's wrong and an estimate to repair it. If you don't know of a local independent garage then do ask around your family and friends.

The only other thing you could try is action under the Sale of Goods Act but, for a clutch replacement on a used car, I think this could be rather difficult.

Please understand, I'm not unsympathetic with your predicament but you will never get Fords to pay for a clutch replacement on a used car, I'm afraid. Have you read the terms and conditions of the warranty that you were given when you purchased the car? There must be something in there about it, I would think.

I'm afraid a clutch can fail on any car.

Edited by Galaxy on 21/06/2014 at 16:22