Vauxhall Astra H (2005) - Fault codes after head gasket replacement - jonp111
New to the forum. Have found a lot of useful advice here over the years so hoping one of you knowledgeable people can help me with something.

A fortnight ago, the tensioner pulley for my fan/aux belt seized, causing the belt to snap. As I pulled over, flappy bits of ex-fan belt took out a coolant hose. Engine overheated. Head gasket went (it was already on the way out if the oil consumption lately was anything to go by).

The RAC recommended a local garage, and they replaced fan belt, water pump, tensioner pulley, new head gasket kit, new timing chain, head sent away to be skimmed etc. Plus new oil, coolant, testing etc. Final bill was £1,170. Given how much they had to do, that sounds, unfortunately, reasonable to me, but I'd appreciate someone 'in the know' letting me know if that's a good price.

Within two days of leaving the garage however, I've had a number of fault codes come up (engine management light on and steady). I've done the 'pedal test' and it's come up

- Cam shaft sensor
- O2 sensor
- Exhaust recirculation sensor
- Knock sensor

Of course, all this has put the car into 'limp mode', but prior to this it was running quieter and better than it has in years.

My question is this: is there something about the repairs they've done that might need a bit of adjustment as things 'settle down', for want of a better phrase? Or is it a new set of problems resulting from something they should have done but haven't? Or something completely unrelated to the work I've just had done?

I appreciate major repairs cost money, but after spending a fortune on the repair and on a hire car (took them 8 days to get the repair done) I guess I'm a bit disappointed there are now further problems, and when I take it back to the garage I'd at least like to be able to give the impression I know what I'm talking about :)

Thanks
Vauxhall Astra H (2005) - Fault codes after head gasket replacement - Avant

Apparently on some browsers this post has only partially appeared. Let's bump it back up to the front and hope you can all see it now.

Edited by Avant on 16/06/2014 at 21:41