Mondeo TDCi engine temperature - mietas
I am sorry for my english. I am new at this forum.
My service station has replaced software in the engine computer. The new version is 23e. The problem is that the engine temperature pointer grows very slow. When I turn the internal heating on, the pointer falls down. When I stop the car (engine is turned on) the pointer falls down even to the lowest level. Everything was OK before software replacing. My mechanics are helpless. They have repeated computer programing, replaced the thermostat, but the problem is unsolved. The problem seems to be caused by the new software because the engine seems to be warm and internal heating works OK. Did someone have a similar problem? And how to solve it?

Regards,

Mietas (Poland)
Mondeo MkIII TDCi 130KM 2002
Mondeo TDCi engine temperature - 547HEW
Welcome to the forum, Mietas,

1) "Everything was OK before software replacing".

Why was the software replaced?

2) For information the temperature gauge is driven by a sensor that measures cylinder head metal temperature, not coolant temperature as is usual. Under normal conditions the metal temperature is proportional to the collant temperature. The gauge's response from sensor input is controlled by engine software.

3) As the vehicle's heating is performing adequately, a jammed open thermostat can be ruled out, which could have caused the slow and low gauge readings.

So please could you let us know why the software was replaced in the first place! I assume the gauge was working OK up till then.

Hope this helps, and in my opinion your English is very good.
1) "Everything was OK before software replacing".
Why was the software replaced?

Due to some well-known problems:
1. engine jerks at 1800-2000 rpm (4th gear)
2. idling speed changes beetween 750 and 900 rpm
3. occasional problems with starting the engine (flashing pre-heating control lamp)
2) For information the temperature gauge is driven by a sensor
that measures cylinder head metal temperature, not coolant temperature as is
usual. Under normal conditions the metal temperature is proportional to
the collant temperature. The gauge's response from sensor input is
controlled by engine software.

It looks like the gauge scale has been changed. I mean, the first mark on the gauge indicates higher temperature than before, and the difference between first and central mark is significantly lower than before.
3) As the vehicle's heating is performing adequately, a jammed open
thermostat can be ruled out, which could have caused the slow
and low gauge readings.
So please could you let us know why the software was
replaced in the first place! I assume the gauge was
working OK up till then.
Hope this helps, and in my opinion your English is very
good.

Technical terminology is very difficult for me.

Mietas
Mondeo TDCi engine temperature - kurnal
Hi Mietas
I have had the latest ecu upgrade today because of the misfire at 1800- 2000rpm. The car is now running well and the temperature gauge is reading exactly the same as before. I do not think that the temperature gauge problem is due to the software. Your mechanics could test the sensor unit to see if it is faulty.
Best of Luck
Alan
I have had the latest ecu upgrade today because of the
misfire at 1800- 2000rpm. The car is now running well and
the temperature gauge is reading exactly the same as before. I
do not think that the temperature gauge problem is due to
the software. Your mechanics could test the sensor unit to see
if it is faulty.

Thanks for the info. I left my car at the station this morning. They will check a sensor unit. After the software reloading and thermostat replacing this is the last thing (in my opinion) that could fail...

Regards,

Mietas
Mondeo TDCi engine temperature - kurnal
Mietas
I celebrated too Soon!
Today the misfire is back, at 2000 rpm!
And I noticed when the misfire started the temperature gauge was only showing 1/4 but I had been driving for 15 Km and it was warm!
The temperature gauge has always shown just below 1/2 before.
The misfire was more violent than before, but otherwise the same-just at part throttle.
About 30 minutes later the temperature gauge increased to normal and the misfire stopped.
About 30 minutes later the temperature gauge dropped to 1/4 again and the misfire came back.
The heater was on all the time and the outside temperature was constant at 1 celsius.
So it looks like the temperature gauge reading is linked to yesterdays software upgrade!
Best luck
Alan
My mechanics had told me before software upgrading that current version should help for the misfire. It was the main reason of software upgrading. Unfortunately, the misfire still happens. It is limited to single jerking only when I press the accelerator gently. Before, the engine had jerked as long as I pressed the pedal max. It looks like the gauge has gone mad due to the software. I think, we have to wait a few months and then upgrade ECU again.

Good luck
Mietas
Mondeo TDCi engine temperature - Roberto
Hi Mietas,
I am posting from Italy.
My Mondeo TDCI 2.0 130 was built in august 2002 and suffers from the misfire problems between 1800 and 2000 rpm.
Last week they have replaced the software with the new version, but the problem is still there.
I have noticed the same problem with the temperature gauge, which I think is surely due to the software update.

Somebody can help us?

Bye and thank you all,
Roberto
My Mondeo was built in June'2002. After software replacement the misfire problem still occurs. It's better but not good. My mechanics have measured the engine temperature directly from the head sensors and it is ok. So, it seems to be the gauge problem. We should get used to it I'm affraid (and wait a few months to get a newer version of the software).

One more question. What about idle engine speed. In my car there is sometimes 750 rpm, sometimes 850-900 rpm. What it's depend on?

Regards,

Mietas
Mondeo TDCi engine temperature - 547HEW
Mietas,

Idle speed depends on battery state of charge, air conditioning on, engine temperature, and power steering.

It is raised so that with all the "consumers" (Alternator, A/C pump, and PAS pump) switched on, a sudden application of full lock steering will not stall the engine.

Engine temperature is taken into account because a cold engine has higher internal friction.

Hope this helps answer your question.
Thanks for this explanation. I think I understand now :)

Regards,

Mietas