Volkswagen Touran - Secondhand prices of VW Touran - AndyFl

In 2009 we bought a secondhand (one previous owner) Volkswagen Touran with a 2.0 Tdi SE specification. It was four years old and had covered 38,000 miles and had a full service history. It was purchased from an independant dealer, who eventually sold it to us for 8100 pounds. Now in 2014 I am looking at purchasing the exact same spcification (and age and mileage) of vehicle again. This time around I am being asked to find something closer to 14000 pounds. Whilst I am aware that prices in general have risen over the past five years and I am aware that the model has undergone two facelifts since we bought our 2005 version, I am struggling to see why such a model has gone up in price so dramatically. As far as I can see the specification does include a few extra features like hill-hold and electronic powered steering and perhaps park-assist, but even so a 6000 price hike is pretty hefty.

Anyone got any thoughts or ideas on what else might have helped to contribute to such a large price increase

Volkswagen Touran - Secondhand prices of VW Touran - RobJP

In 2005, credit was easy. Lots of people could get credit on new cars, or re-mortgage to buy new cars using their house (as everyone was assuming prices could only go one way). They were wrong. But it led to a lot of new cars being sold. Four years later, banks are calling in loans, etc, so in 2009, there was virtually no credit available. If you could get credit, or you had cash available, then you ruled the roost. The used car market was in a terrible state.

In 2009, lots of 4 year old cars, little demand. Result low prices.

You are now looking at a 4 year old car, which was new in 2010. When credit was tighter, far fewer cars being built, so far smaller number to go round in the used market now. Credit in 2014 is a lot more available, people are more confident, so willing to take on a loan.

In 2014, not so many 4 year old cars. Credit more available. Demand increasing. Result higher prices.

Volkswagen Touran - Secondhand prices of VW Touran - johncyprus
Brilliant analysis RobJP. Time to put money away with a view to buying @ 2018.
Brilliant answer....thank you.Seems to make perfect sense now
Volkswagen Touran - Secondhand prices of VW Touran - SteveLee

What's wrong with your "old" car? Why the compulsion to change it?

It has numerous VW faults cropping up from ABS brake pump to now where the airbag light shows ON all the time. Been advised that it is the main sensor underneath the seat that needs replacing. On top of all those it has gone into "limp-home" mode twice. Not sure what is causing that as usually all it takes to reset it is "switch off/switch on again" and it clears itself..... So all in all, we like the car , but have just lost confidence in this particular one
Volkswagen Touran - Secondhand prices of VW Touran - bazza

....and after all that you're out to buy another one! VW Brand loyalty is amazing!

Volkswagen Touran - Secondhand prices of VW Touran - daveyK_UK

Why another Tour an?

Lots of choice out there

Volkswagen Touran - Secondhand prices of VW Touran - daveyK_UK

Why another Tour an?

Lots of choice out there

Fair point !! But I just happen to like the model with all the seat and storage combinations. I also admit to being a badge snob and My own perception is that the VW Touran as a classier option than Zafira / S-Max and others. I am not tied to VW otherwise.....have owned Alfa/Peugeot/Austin/Vauxhall/Lancia/Triumph/Ford/Talbot , so not particularly biased to one make. Driving all these other brands has also taught that no one manufacturer is significantly better in reliability terms than any other and most vehicles respond well to careful driving and regular maintenance. What has frustrated me with the current VW is we have continued to service it regularly and yet various electrical gremlins have construed to make us feel a little bit let down
Volkswagen Touran - Secondhand prices of VW Touran - madf
"Alfa/Peugeot/Austin/Vauxhall/Lancia/Triumph/Ford/Talbot , so not particularly biased to one make. Driving all these other brands has also taught that no one manufacturer is significantly better in reliability terms than any other and most vehicles respond well to careful driving and regular maintenance"

You are comparing rubbish with rubbish..Try driving Toyota or Honda.

Edited by madf on 01/06/2014 at 21:26

I was wondering whether one of the toyota devotees/worshippers would attempt to hijack the thread.

To the OP : glad I could explain a bit with pricing, and why it's the way it is. It's only my take on it all, but I used to be in the motor trade a fair few years ago.

Regarding the slavish devotion to certain brands (and the slamming of others on here) it's worthwhile noting that the 'most loved' are the brands that seem to be bought by the ... shall we say older driver ... and thus probably don't do as great a mileage/get as much hammer as the sales rep - type brands. Any car will, if it only does 5k miles a year at a sedate pace, probably last a lot longer than a car that has done 30k a year for the first 3 years.

Anyway, I'm as off topic as the last person who tried to hijack the thread. You like the Touran, then go for it. Hope you find a car that you're happy with, and best of luck !

Volkswagen Touran - Secondhand prices of VW Touran - madf

Ad hominem remarks about other posters are not an argument but an admission of an inability to argue logically.

Volkswagen Touran - Secondhand prices of VW Touran - wrangler_rover

It's not a case of all the Toyota and Honda worshippers.

I am on my 3rd Avensis company car, my wife drives a Yaris and my son drives an Auris. All these cars are maintained by Toyota dealers.

From my experience, yes Toyota cars do have their problems (I have no experience of Honda so I can't comment). All car manufacturers have problems. The thing thats differentiates Toyota from other manufacturers is the way they deal with their problems. They will recall thousands of cars, and compensate the owners for the inconvenience of the car being recalled, rather than ignoring the problem. Also, with Toyota, there is no, sorry, the car is 2 days out of warranty, thats £mega please for the repair.

Volkswagen Touran - Secondhand prices of VW Touran - gordonbennet

Off topic here too, sorry.

Another Toyota/Honda fan here, not necessarily for their cars (we have two cars of neither make) but for the honourable way they deal with customers, especially those whos car has failed, often years out of warranty.

Very fair point from RobJP above about the rise in used prices, as rightly said there were thousands of things in compounds, new and used, piled up round the country around 2009, anyone who bought at that time could have found themselves real bargains, those days are gone.

Personally i've come away from modern cars completely, far too complicated and designed not to be fixed, we will probably see our time out on simpler cars of 90's designs...till the unelected EU apparatchiks of the moment ban them that is, then it'll be bike bus and taxi.

If i had to buy modern, then Toyota/Honda for customer is still important ethos, Subaru for interesting and well sorted engineering.

My issue is not with people eulogising about any particular brand or model of car, but with the fact that they see fit to ram it down the throats of everyone else.

The OP has quite clearly stated what he likes about this car, and why he wants to get another one. He has also quite freely acknowledged that it has had a few issues.

But even so, someone wishes to belittle his decision and thinking, and proceeds to slam all other makes than Toyota or Honda. To them, if the OP wishes to buy a VW, or any other brand, then they probably need to be belitled a bit more until they change their mind.

Of course, I then (horror of horrors) pick them up on it, and wish the OP all the best with their search. The Toyota worshipper then gets their panties in a twist over it all. After all, I'm not criticising their chosen car, but I'm criticising their worship of it, and their pushing it for all it's worth, hence their post that :

Ad hominem remarks about other posters are not an argument but an admission of an inability to argue logically.

Got some bad news for you. I don't care what you do (or don't) drive. You like Toyota or Honda ? Good for you. I'm not about to criticise that choice at all, just as I'm not going to slam the OP for wanting another VW, or the lady poster who bought a 308CC that had a fair few problems, or anyone else for that matter.

Volkswagen Touran - Secondhand prices of VW Touran - Happy Blue!

I have heard lots of negative comments about VW cars especially with the DSG gearbox and the ABS unit. Similarly, there are lots of unrealiable Ford S-Maxes around.

However my S-Max has been very reliable (needing to replace a rear shock absorber just now is the first repair in four years) and I would buy another. I have never replaced a car with the same one if I have been let down so badly by the existing model.

But if the OP wants to spend his money in a manner we would think is unwise its up to him.

Volkswagen Touran - Secondhand prices of VW Touran - Avant

Absolutely - and the OP wasn't asking whether or not to buy another Touran. The question was about pricing, which RobJP answered very effectively in the following post.

Edited by Avant on 02/06/2014 at 18:22

Volkswagen Touran - Secondhand prices of VW Touran - SteveLee
Fair point !! But I just happen to like the model with all the seat and storage combinations. I also admit to being a badge snob and My own perception is that the VW Touran as a classier option than Zafira / S-Max and others.

You admit to being a "badge snob" but VWs are no better than their rivals (sometimes far worse) you are just being robbed - you seem to be aware of this and yet come back for more! The S-Max is widely recognised as the best car in its class and is better in practically every way than the Touran - including reliability I suspect.

Volkswagen Touran - Secondhand prices of VW Touran - Snakey

I wouldn't got to toyota based on your disatisfaction with VW as you might just find their customer service equally poor. Of course on here the toyota love fest will try to convince you otherwise.

Personally I'd go for Ford or even Kia.