Peugeot 607 - Telematics Unit Failure - Bob, Peterhead

The on-board computer in my 607 packed in, the message on screen saying "Please Insert Upgrade CD".

I booked it into my local dealer but when they inserted the disc the system did not reboot.

They checked the unit but could only advise it was receiving power.

A few weeks later the disc ejected of its own accord.

A chap on a Peugeot forum advises that the disc should have been left in the unit with the engine running all day if necessary to reboot the system properly; the dealer's failure to do this has probably irreparably damaged the unit (which costs £2k + VAT to replace).

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Regards, Bob

Peugeot 607 - Telematics Unit Failure - Railroad.
Not specifically, but these systems are a nightmare. In addition French cars aren't known for their reliability or robustness. Structural corrosion always killed older cars. The kind of problem you're having will eventually send it to the breakers because the cost of repairs greatly exceeds its value. Sorry to say that but it's the way it is.
Peugeot 607 - Telematics Unit Failure - Gibbo_Wirral
In addition French cars aren't known for their reliability or robustness. Structural corrosion always killed older cars.

Ah, the old chestnut is regurgitated once again. 205, 206, 306, 406. Still countless models still out there going strong, and not a hint of rust or rot on their bodies.

K reg 205 - currently on £2000:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141279545451?ssPageName=STRK:ME...9

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 12/05/2014 at 15:09

How many have you actually repaired, or attended broken down at the roadside?
Peugeot 607 - Telematics Unit Failure - Gibbo_Wirral

I do diagnostics around the North West on just Peugeots, so quite a few over the years.

None of them suffer from "structural corrosion" like you claim. Nor have the Pugs I've owned.

I find the biggest problem is owner neglect. I get blank looks and shoulder shrugging when I ask when it was last serviced, or if the fuel filter has been changed. If people would do the basics, then they wouldn't have so many problems.

But all this has nothing to do with the OP's fault, which seems to be dealer incompetence (it wouldn't be the first time). You just seemed to post to slate Peugeot, so why not take your marque hate elsewhere?

cars.uk.msn.com/features/used-car-guide/guilty-ple...t

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 13/05/2014 at 15:08

Peugeot 607 - Telematics Unit Failure - twitcherman

I read Railroad's original post not to mean that Peugeots were rustbuckets particularly, but that in the "old days", corrosion sent cars (of all makes) to the scrapper whereas nowadays failure of technically "advanced" features (electronics, DPFs, etc) are the more likely cause, as the parts to repair are either unavailable or prohibitively expesive.

Don't let me distract anyone from grabbing the wrong end of the stick and starting a flame war, however.

Thank you Twitcherman, that is exactly what I meant. Older cars in general were killed when structural corrosion meant it was longer feasible or possible to repair. That isn't the case with modern cars because because they don't tend to corrode as badly, and their systems usually fail first.

I'm not the biggest fan of Peugeot or Citroen cars. In my opinion they're not very well built, and over the years I have attended hundreds at the roadside with silly faults. Gear change mechanisms are over complicated and easily fall to bits. PEUGEOT stands for Poor Electrics, Useless Gearbox and Endless Other Trouble. They didn't get that from nowhere.
Peugeot 607 - Telematics Unit Failure - Bob, Peterhead

I do diagnostics around the North West on just Peugeots, so quite a few over the years.

None of them suffer from "structural corrosion" like you claim. Nor have the Pugs I've owned.

I find the biggest problem is owner neglect. I get blank looks and shoulder shrugging when I ask when it was last serviced, or if the fuel filter has been changed. If people would do the basics, then they wouldn't have so many problems.

But all this has nothing to do with the OP's fault, which seems to be dealer incompetence (it wouldn't be the first time). You just seemed to post to slate Peugeot, so why not take your marque hate elsewhere?

cars.uk.msn.com/features/used-car-guide/guilty-ple...t

Good afternoon Gibbo; mechanically I have no problems with the 607, but the failure of the Telematics Unit means I have lost my computer functions including sat nav and parking sensors as well as the radio. I guess my best option now is just to fit another radio and look into installing a rear parking aid too maybe.