Volkswagen Golf VI - Help much appreciated! - Buying VW Golf - Piranha Teeth

First time posting to this forum. All your help would be muchly appreciated.

I've sold on my old car (Peugeot 306....12 years of faultess service) and I'm now looking at buying a good second hand Golf VI Match Edition 1.4 tsi (the 122bhp one). I was on the verge of getting one when I started looking at the problems these engines have with the timing chains. I know if the chain goes it's a rebuild or worse case...a new engine!

My questions are:

- Are they that problematic or is it concentrated on the GT models with the turbo and supercharger?

- If I did buy one and the chain did go, would VW be liable for the repairs?

- I would get the AA or RAC to give it a once over but would they pick up any issues with the chain?

I'd be grateful if anyone could give me some info or any personal experiences before I part with any cash.

Many thanks!

Volkswagen Golf VI - Help much appreciated! - Buying VW Golf - skidpan

Most of the cars that have suffered issues with the chain have been the twin charged versions that have been chipped and thrashed.

Make sure its been correctly serviced using the correct oils and you should be fine.

Just remember that there have been hundreds of thousands of these engines fitted to VW's, Skoda's, Seats and Audis and as a percentage of those sold very few have had issues.

Perhaps get the garage to change the chain as part of the negotiations if it worries you.