deposit on car - sisi

i put a depost on a car at a car dealer .i test drove same make model and year car. i like the car but not the colour the dealer said he had one in white in th depo. so i paid a deposit on it. i got a recpiet with make modle and cars reg. they then rang 2 days later to say the car was not avalible and that when they went to pick up the car it had already gone. they said that they did not have the same model and offered for ther same price an sri instead of an se. in my opinion the se was alot nicer but the dealer said they sell them at the same price. i told them that i wasnt happy and that if i put a deposit on a car it was for them to hold it for me. they said sorry and that i could take the sri or get my deposit back. i dont know where i stand can i make them get me a car the sme as the on i put a deposit on?

Edited by sisi on 01/05/2014 at 23:39

deposit on car - Auristocrat

Doubt it. You will probably find there is a clause re availability in the order form terms and conditions. The car dealer has been fair in offering you a replacement or your deposit back.

deposit on car - bathtub tom

Tell them you'll take your deposit back.

I bet they'll come back with a better offer1

deposit on car - RobJP

They have offered to refund your deposit, or offered an alternative of equal or better value. That is what the law says they have to do. Nothing more, and that is also reasonable.

deposit on car - sisi

the car is been delivered to the dealer today so i can view it and then if i am happy i can take the car. they picked the car up from birmingham and delivered it all way to huddersfield so i can view it ,how cheecky can i be with price. if i say no do you think they might knock a bit off. or should i say i will take it if you knock £500 off. origanal price is £16,500.

deposit on car - RobJP

There's an old saying ... if you don't ask, then you don't get ...

If you're going to do that though, don't be hugely happy about it. While viewing, mention a couple of times (but not too much) about how it's a shame about the colour, etc. Then ask what they can do for you on price to take it off their hands. You never know, they might offer £500 off, and then you can counteroffer with £1k off, and see where you end up.