Ford Focus - Ford Focus gearbox - carljones1

I bought a Ford Focus 2012 1.6 diesel Eco Boost in February this year. The car is at present 9 months old. Currently I am experiencing a clunking sound when changing gears whilst the car is in motion.

When I took it to the dealer it would make that clunking noise when using first and second gear. I was told that the noise was part of the workings of the gearbox and that all these models did that. Unfortunately I do not share the same thoughts. I called the Ford Technical Centre (£1 per minute) and there Technical office stated “If you experience a noise within the gearbox whilst the car is in motion, then it is a fault”.

The Ford Relationship Centre was my next move. They were the mediators between me and the Ford dealer.

After I got the car back from the garage I am now getting a clunking noise from second to third gear as well.
I took the car back to the Ford dealership where a Head Technician would experience the noise while I was driving. We drove for a good ten minutes. He agreed there was a clunking sound and believed it was coming from the transmission. He stated “because Ford have made this transmission sol light you may get slack back”. (Or a similar term)

We proceeded to have a drive in a similar model of the same make and year. Strangely, I experienced the clunking in this model albeit to a much lesser degree.

After toing and froing with the garage and the relationship centre, everyone but the purchaser (me) the MAIN FORD TECHNICAL CENTRE, recognise this as a feature of the gearbox and that it is not a fault.

If I had bought a Focus and part of the selling chit chat would be; nice car, nice this and that and oh, there is a clunking in the gearbox but this is normal, I would not have spent £14500. Would You???

Please be aware that should this knocking may make you feel inexperienced and embarrassed when passers-by hear you change gear with a clunk clunk, remember it’s not you. "It’s normal for these cars".

Carl Jones

Ford Focus - Ford Focus gearbox - gordonbennet

It may be new and under warranty, and i don't suggest you do this i should add, but if it were mine i'd drain the gearbox oil out and put something better in instead.

I don't know about this model, but if the fault is as common as it would appear then no doubt its been discussed on Ford owners forums, might be worth poke nosing about and see if anyone has cured it.