Ford Focus 1.8TDCI Zetec Estate 58 Plate - Warranty Issues - manifold1978

Hi, Looking for some help with where I stand with a second hand car purchase. I bought a Focus from a main dealer, broke down within the fisrt few miles (engine malfunction warning, became undriveable). Took the car back, they said the ECU needed recalibrating, and that there was an open circuit on an injector, and that if they hadn't fixed it it might need a new injector. It hasn't happended again, but I get a VERY unnverving juddering every now and again. I've taken it back and they say nothing is wrong - but of course there must be. I'm now in a position where they won't so anything unless there is a fault code. I've taken it to another garage for a second opinion (which is the same as the first). I've searched the forums for various possible technical causes (injectors, air filter, turbo leak), but I really don;t know what my next move should be. Do I just have to drive it and hope the right fault code is genrated within the remaining warranty period? I've already written a letter of comaplaint. Any advice greatefully received. Thanks.

Ford Focus 1.8TDCI Zetec Estate 58 Plate - Warranty Issues - RobJP

If there is no fault code being generated, and the car usually drives normally, then you can't really expect the garage (or any other garage) to fix the juddering that does occasionally occur, if they can't replicate the fault.

I'd suggest looking at exactly when the fault occurs, and trying to narrow it down that way a little. It sounds like it MIGHT be an EGR valve sticking, or a fuel filter blocking, or an air leak, or ..... as you can see, it's impossible for anyone to attempt to diagnose the problem on here, though there are a few more likely things.

Basically though, they have fixed the fault that came up. The car works. You can't reject it.

Thanks for the reply.
Can't help thinking you work for the garage I bought it from though :)
I fear you're probably right about not being able to reject it, as unjust as it is.

They've possibly fixed one of the faults that came up - possibly. But they definitely haven't fixed the other. It's no less a fault and no less extant just because it's intermittent, and I'm reporting it rather than a computer.

I'd have said I could expect a garage to use experience, reports from the driver, fault code history, maybe even open the bonnet to have a look and try a few of the more likely things, while it's still under warranty. I'm probably living in the past and that's just not the way any more, but that's what seems reasonable to me.

I can totally appreciate these things can be a bit of a dark art - many things are, but I think they should be doing something. I'm just frustrated with the stonewall "Computer says it's ok, tough. We're keeping your money. Go away". I wish my job was that easy!

It pretty much means garages can get away with selling on any old bag of spanners without fear of any comeback! Main dealer or not.

Sorry for the semi-rant, just wondered if anyone else agrees!

Edited by manifold1978 on 24/04/2014 at 07:55

Oh, I agree with you entirely. Had it before myself on an Audi A6 tdi a few years ago. You'd be driving along and all of a sudden there would be no power there at all, then 400 yards later it would be fine again. Took it to half a dozen different garages over a few months, all of who had no idea what it was - but they were all quite willing to change various parts to see if it fixed the problem.

Only when the car broke down properly and I called out the AA did I manage to get a fix. Told him what it had been doing occasionally for a while, he diagnosed a perished vacuum hose. Pulls out the old one, cuts and puts in a new one, fixed. Did another 40k in that car without an issue.

Ford Focus 1.8TDCI Zetec Estate 58 Plate - Warranty Issues - oldroverboy.
Sorry for the semi-rant, just wondered if anyone else agrees!

Don't be sorry, That is the way it is.

Personally would NEVER buy any car outside manufacturers warranty period, but not the best choice for everyone. The only way to mitigate problems like yours is to avoid these vehicles altogether.

Not a lot of help to th OP, but get shot of as soon as economic to do so.

Ford Focus 1.8TDCI Zetec Estate 58 Plate - Warranty Issues - jc2

Yeah!! Pass the problem onto someone else-that's probably what the previous owner did to you!

Of course, there is an alternative approach (though it does depend on how long you've had the car, and if you've got any record of the ongoing intermittent problems) ...

You could attempt to reject the car, on the basis that the car suffered a major breakdown almost immediately after purchase, and that they have failed to fix that problem PROPERLY so that the car is 'fit for purpose'.

As they are a main agent, I'd assume they are a member of motorcodes (it's a semi-independent complaints body) - motorcodes.co.uk to check if they are.

As I say, it does depend on how long you've had it, and records of the ongoing fault. But if suitable ...

1. letter to them (recorded post, to manager). not happy, car not fit for purpose, last chance to properly rectify.Also, copy Ford GB in on this. Every little helps, as they say.

2. If nothing happens, then say either rejecting the car, or if they are not willing to do so, deadlock letter (recorded post again), and threaten motorcodes/ trading standards. Give them 14 days to decide which to do. Again, Ford GB copied in.

3. Motorcodes / trading standards.

Unfortunately, most of the used car market is populated by the worst sort of shysters who are only too willing to take your money, but far too unwilling to rectify any problems. You've either got to push incredibly hard, or they will continue to ignore your complaints. They rely on the fact that most people can't be bothered going through all the hassle of ombudsmen, complaints bodiesm etc.

Oh. one other point. Direct them towards this thread, and inform that you will name and shame if they lose through motorcodes/TS

Thanks for all the helpful replies.
Am going to start logging when and under what circumstances it happens.
So far seems to be just as I'm pulling onto a motorway, once when I'd just filled it to the brim, the other when I was below 1/4.