First ding! - johnnyrev
Having passed her test last month, my wife today had her first minor accident! Having driven to Drayton Manor and back with the boy she mis-judged the entrance to the driveway and dented and scraped the bumper on the wall. I suspect a new bumper will be needed as the dent is quite deep and the paintwork is cracked.

But it is only a minor ding! My first accident was much more embarrassing, involving a collision with a stationary police car in a car park! But I was only 18. It would be interesting to hear about other peoples first (hopefully that doesn't mean there have been many subsequent accidents!) dings after passing their tests. Or is there anyone who has never had even a minor scrape?

I haven't had any incidents for a few years, but I do drive very slowly these days, especially now that I am forty! My last ding was clipping a wing mirror in our first Doblo about 4 years ago, and the mirror completely shattered! Oh, and I did drive into a concrete bollard in a petrol station but we won't mention that!
First ding! - gordonbennet

40...40!!, you're a mere pup, SWMBO is now retired and she's far from slowing up, and still shows some hopeful youngsters how it should be done.

Bad luck for the good lady, but hope they had a nice time at Drayton Manor, i used to take my young uns there and we always had a good time.

A word to the already wise, keep schtum, its your car your gatepost, far as we're concerned here the post fell over.

Get yerself round to a little bodyshop sharpish, one of your flock is bound to know of one thats a one man and his dog operation, you might find a quiet quote from him will have your car sorted for less than the excess and subsequent increases, if you're in Northants i could point you in the right direction via Avant (mod).

I'm saying nowt about my luck or lack of it on the roads, don't wan't satan looking over my shoulder marking me complacent card.

Edited by gordonbennet on 16/04/2014 at 17:50

First ding! - RickyBoy
(Having a fag-break from shed-painting - not)

Old-style ice-cream van in middle of road indicating right suddenly turned left into my MG Midget offside wing. Car still drive able despite a good deal of ' mis-shaping'.

Matey almost fell out of his hatch in eagerness to settle in cash. Obviously not insured, etc.

Got an immediate estimate, wrote it all out in B&W then went to his address that evening and got hi to sign on the line admitting liability.

He paid me off with a day's takings. Still had a half-eaten flake in the middle of the wad ...

First ding! - skidpan

I was very lucky after passing my test in 1974. Had a minor scrape with another car just over a year later, 50-50 situation easilly fixed with T Cut. Went off the road on ice early in probably 1977, slightly bent rear bumper and a flat tyre.

I was hit head on by another car in early 1979 during a blizzard, he was out of control in a borrowed car having written his own off 2 days earlier. I was driving a Spitfire at the time, he was in a Cortina. Mine needed a new bumper, number plate and a few little dents sorting, his was a write off. Just could not believe my luck.

Hit by a motorcycle once, after exchanging details he rode off with no problems but I ended up in hospital the next day with glass in my eye.

Mrs first accident was in a Volvo, went off the road backwards on ice, strait through an open gate, hit nothing. She hit our very own front wall once, took the wing off, blamed our cat.

First ding! - Leif
I'd leave the bumper, you never know when the next dent will appear ...

I was driving a company car, exiting the works, and braked a bit sharp. There was a bang. I got out and saw that the boss of my boss had driven into my car. Mine had a cracked bumper. His was a right off.

Over ten years ago I was going slowly down a hill, braked, nothing, there was ice. I pranged a parked car at the bottom. Luckily it was a company car and they did not get it fixed.

A few years ago I was coming down a hill I'd previously driven up. Braked, nothing, there was ice. I pumped the brakes and did a 180 degree spin, coming to a stop at a t junction. Amazingly other drivers were not bothered by a spinning car.

Ice us my bête noire, you can't see it until it is too late.
First ding! - Happy Blue!

First ding? Depends if it was on or off road??!

Off road and aged 12 I was driving a company van (father owned the company) around the yard and slid on some oil and slid into a staff members price and joy Beetle. Banned from the yard for a year. Ooops.

On road aged 19 and driving too fast on a bendy road with damp leaves. Left the road and bumped over a high kerb destroying the suspension and driveshafts, but no body damage at all.

Still drive a bit too fast occasionally, but these days a little more circumspect. Bad drivers bring out the bad driver in me though.....

First ding! - Smileyman

at 40 your still a young motorist, many happy years driving ahead of you. Please don't slow down too much, it's difficult enough to make good progress these days without having to overtake the slower ones - as well as a worry as a driver who feels compelled to overtake is more likely to do somethng stupid and be a danger to himself, the overtaken and oncoming motorist - and such an incident would be both first and probably last ever crash

First ding! - johnnyrev
I don't think I will be slowing down too much, I think I try to drive more sensibly these days but never too slow! I am discovering with our hybrid that a good way to achieve higher mpg is to to maintain speed, which means trying not to slow down for roundabouts etc, which can surprise people!

It's good to hear about other peoples first dings, and amazing how many have had an accident, if only a minor one. Anyone never had an accident?
First ding! - 72 dudes

Early hours of New Years Day, probably 1981. Left my then girlfriend's parents' house, sub zero, no heated rear screen, couldn't be bothered to scrape it, backed down the drive and into the corner of the house. Fairly extensive near side rear damage to my 9 year old Austin 1100. Took it to local father/son not quite garage. The car was already several shades of BL Flame Red, this added a fourth hue!

First ding! - hillman

I was on my second car, about 1964, driving South down the A6 almost in Hazel Grove. I was trying my wings, so to speak, driving too close to the pedestrian reserves which were then in the centre of the road. The top of the kerbs were just about half way up the sills and I collected one with an almighty bang. The sill was scarred about two milimetres deep and repaired easily but, my pride and sensibility was scarred far deeper. I didn't do that again.