Audi A3 Sportback - Tyre noise intrusion into intererior of car - Dude - {P}

My Audi (latest model) is currently running on Pirelli Cinturato P7 tyres which are causing a considerable noise into the cabin, which is so disappointing when the engine (1.4 C.O.D.) petrol turbo is so quiet and refined.

Can anyone please recommend the quietest running tyre available currently, which would be much appreciated?

Many thanks for your help

Audi A3 Sportback - Tyre noise intrusion into intererior of car - skidpan

We found P7's much quieter on out C-Max than original Contis but the Khumos that replaced them were better still.

Michelins on my new Leon TSi (same car as Audi A3) are very quiet.

Audi A3 Sportback - Tyre noise intrusion into intererior of car - RichT54

All tyres are now supposed to have a tyre label that includes a "noise emmission" value. If you check out a site like Black Circles it will show the tyre labels for each make & model of tyre.

The Pirellis you have are listed as 71bB which looks about average.

At a quick glance on Black Circles, the quietest I can see are Dunlop SP Sport Maxx RT at 67dB and the loudest are Yokohamas at 74dB.

My A3 also has P7s and while not the quietest tyres I've ever had, I don't find them too bad.

Audi A3 Sportback - Tyre noise intrusion into intererior of car - gordonbennet

Try this instead, grab a few duvets from the house and place them over the likely sources of sound first.

The first place i would fold them over is the rear wheelarches and the rear floor/side panel area, i predict a much reduced noise problem with those in place there, obviously you can check all areas of the car like this.

Once you've found where the noise is coming in, then its not a big job to remove the trim and sound proof those areas with fire retardent self adhesive pads attached to the metal under the trim, easily available on the bay of e, £50 worth of insulating pads i predict will make a massive difference, this has been done to several cars in the family with good results, or get a good small bodyshop to do the job for you.

Presumably the tyres are wide and low profile which usually equals noisy, selecting certain tyres can make a difference, i myself went against my previous anti budget tyre rules and bought a set of Federal Formoza FD2 budgets for my old Benz, this was purely an experiment in quiet and smooth running, and in those respects they are excellent (and 225/45 x 17 W rated at less than £220 for the set was nice) indeed they have 'silent' embossed on the sidewall for what its worth, however they do not have the wet grip of the previous ToyoT1R's which were superb, but unbelievably noisy and a crashing ride wore me down and i took them off with 4mm still remaining as i could stand it no longer.

If you can hang fire, by about the end of the month i will have fitted a new set of Nokian Z G2 summer tyres to the Outback, i recall that in more than one German tyre test these were remarked on for their quiet running, in due course i can give my humble opinion.

Edited by gordonbennet on 16/04/2014 at 16:49