ford ka - overheating problem - bertie b

Hi help lol

i have recently bought a ford ka 2002 fitted with a duratec engine the heater control valve had been replaced but only blowing hot air (before apparently it would only blow cold),how ever the prob i have at the mo is the engine is rumming hot (overheating ) and when left it looses water (looks to be in the area of the thermostat) im wondering if thermostat could be stuck closed but would i get hot air through the heater if this is the case ???? ive not really looked at the heater valveand hot air prob but going to have a look in the morning any advice would be great (apart from scrap it lol)

ford ka - overheating problem - Peter.N.

Is the temperature gauge showing that its overheating? If its not and its loosing water it could be that the head gasket is leaking and pressurising the system blowing the water out.

ford ka - overheating problem - nickjaxe

My daughter has a Ka with the same engine as yours....I look after it for her,

The thermotst is in a long plastic housing as you can prob see...hers was leaking...when I took it off I found that the plastic that its made of had more or less rotted away and the big sealing O ring had come out letting it leak...seems its a common prob,

Got a new one on ebay for an amazingliy cheap price...been on a few years now with no probs...I thing I just had to remove the airfilter to gain access to the housing,

She has also had probs with the heater control valve a you have.

Nick.