Nissan x trail - Buying an x trail - Joe21
Hi guys I'm looking at buying a second hand x trail from roughly 2005. I'm torn between going for the petrol or diesel. I drive to work which is only ten mins each way in the winter, drive a couple of times midweek, maybe 20mole round trips and up to about 100miles at the weekend.

What would suit me best, petrol or diesel?

Any advice on what to look for?

What mileage is considered too high?
Nissan x trail - Buying an x trail - Bobbin Threadbare

Petrol. Don't reckon there's much point in a diesel for that mileage. You do a similar driving pattern to me by the looks of it and a diesel probably isn't worth it; you won't pay back the extra set up cost to buy it in fuel savings.

Yeah I agree I think fuel wise it won't be worth it, however most of them are diesel. Do you think I'll damage a diesel doing these short runs?

Reliability on petrol x trails??

DPF issues were reported for the newer X Trail but not on the older version (pre 07 I think). However, the earliest ones were Nissan chain cam engines but after about 2003 they put Renault engines in which will probably be belt cam, so that could be knackered and it'd be worth checking if it had been replaced. The older diesels also had a big catalogue of turbo failures.

I still don't think the saving is there and I wouldn't want to pay for a new turbo!!

Ah okay. Oh really? So all of the 05/06 diesels are Renault? I'd rather not have a belt driven car if possible, is the petrol a chain? Yeah I've heard about those turbo issues... What do you think to a petrol with 80 or 90k?

Yes the petrols are chain cam. I would not be put off by a petrol car with 80k on the clock (I usually buy my cars at 60-70k and run them up over 100k) if it was in good nick.

Nissan x trail - Buying an x trail - kerbed enthusiasm

Running a 2.5 petrol 54 plate. Bought at 63,000 miles just over one year ago. No engine problems. Recommended if you can get your head around higher than average fuel consumption. I worked on the theory that: a) the car was cheaper; b) it wouldn't have the usual diesel realted woes; c) petrol is cheaper than diesel.

Visit the x-trail UK forum for specific buying advice. It's tremendously supportive and helpful.