Cheap run around needed ? - user1.2

Hi spec me a motor my budget is 2-2.5k im looking for something small,petrol,cheap and reliable.Something thats ok on motoways and a roads in terms of comfort and performance.I need something thats very good on petrol and practical on long joruneys luggage space and number of seats dont matter as its just a solo commuter.So far I got on my list:

Honda civic 1.6 01-05

Honda jazz 1.4 01-05

Ford fiesta 1.25 or 1.4 prob 02-05

Thx

Cheap run around needed ? - elekie&a/c doctor

You won't go far wrong with a 1600 Focus.Good drive and solid build with few problems.Honda civic and jazz both suffer gearbox problems and in my view a a lightweight build quality.Watch for water leaks into boot area on jazz..Fiesta is also a solid build,with few problems and cheap repairs.Ok as a commuter car,not so good on long trips.Astra is another possible choice.

Cheap run around needed ? - daveyK_UK

you should pick up a 06-07 nissan note for that kind of money.

Cheap run around needed ? - jamie745

Ford Focus.

Mid-high spec. 1.6 will do fine but bigger engines could be a bargain. Mk1 was the best. A goodun shouldn't set you back more than £1,500.

That's that one sorted. What next?

Cheap run around needed ? - user1.2

Forgot to add I currently am using a 1.8l 06 corsa that only does 30mpg best. Is the focus 1.6 going to offer any savings in the fuel department ? what year focus within my budget is the best ?

Focus 1.6 will typically give you 35mpg. I think the mk1 was the nicest Focus, they changed to the mk2 in 2005 I think so a 2004 model would be going quite cheap now.

Cheap run around needed ? - Avant

The advantage of Fiestas and Focuses is that there are lots of them around. But the Hondas you mention have a lot going for them: the old model Civic is in many people's opinion a better car than the new-shape Civic. It'll be more comfortable on long runs than the Jazz.

Remember that at this end of the market conditrion matters more than make or model.

Civic is a nice car, but there's so many Focuses (Focii? Focus'?) around you'll always find a good deal. It's big enough to put stuff in and feel at home on the motorway without being too big to park somewhere or to get round little side roads.

Cheap run around needed ? - Bobbin Threadbare

I did 30k a year in a Mk I petrol Focus and it returned me about 37mpg and never went wrong. I second (third?) that suggestion!