Focus 1.8 TDCI 2002 - Turbo not spooling after idle, with smoke. - Cafm1992

Hi ive searched forums for a solution but havn't turned anything up.

My car has done 120k and has been serviced every year. When it is left to idle (i,e traffic lights) the engine is very flat and will not boost, unless i rev the engine with the clutch down a few times. If i keep my foot down while it is not boosting, it will struggle to around 3000 rpm and then start to make a faint clicking sound and throw a fair bit of smoke out. The engine is often so flat that I have started to dread pulling up to roundabouts.

If I feather the throttle before pulling off, I can get the whole range of revs with no smoke at all.

If while it is not boosting, I hold the engine at around 2000 rpm for a few seconds I can feel the car suddenly get more power (almost as is something has switched or opened up) and from here i will have full power and be able to get the whole range of revs.

I have a EGR blanking plate fitted, have checked the EGR valve housing/manifold and there is no soot build up at all, although there is a film of oil. There is also a film of oil is also in the intercooler so i guess the seals are starting to fail? Is it likely my turbo has failed through wear and or is it likely to be related to something else?

Focus 1.8 TDCI 2002 - Turbo not spooling after idle, with smoke. - BenG

Some possibilities i can think of are:

i) Sticking turbo vanes - Car has a variable-vane turbo and soot build-up can cause them to stick which means boost is not what it should be, or else too high if the vanes stick open. The fact you can accelerate gently and get the correct boost tends to be consistent with this, but also with point (ii) below. Turbo can be cleaned out in situ using Revive turbo-cleaning kit or some people have used Mr Muscle oven cleaner. The Terraclean might also help.

ii) Boost leak - Got any holes in the pressure pipework between the turbo and intake - sometimes these open up under pressure and you get no boost and black smoke due to excess fuelling. Check all the pipes, including the ribbed pipes attached to each end of the intercooler, for holes. Quite often oily spatter on adjacent parts can indicate hidden leaks.

iii) Would have said sticky EGR but if it's blanked can't be that.

A coating of oil inside the intercooler and pressure pipework is perfectly normal so no worries there!

Car should boost strongly uner load from around 1800rpm if my old one was typical.

I did have my car in for a injector refurb a couple of months ago, the guys there noted that it was sluggish and said they checked for leaks but couldnt find any and said it was likely the turbo or egr sticking, which is why i fitted the plate. I'll have a look for leaks this weekend and grab a tin of mr muscle, at 5 quid its got to be worth a shot.

Thanks for your advice, I'll update how I get on.

Sorry for the almost 2 yearlong reply/update.

My car still has the same issue, I have learned to live with it but have finally made a little progress/discovery.

Following your advice, I gave my turbo the Mr Muscle treatment. However the actuator was quite free moving in the beginning and did not really loosen up further.

I also searched for boost leaks in the pipe work but found nothing. I search with a renewed confidence one will show up that I missed every few month.

Anyway, I changed my air filter a few weeks back and left the MAF unplugged by mistake and to my surprise I noticed that the engine pulled perfectly at low speeds and was just more sluggish at higher speeds. But there was also no smoke or clicking at all!

My question is, does this point to a broken MAF sensor? I have used the on board diagnostics and it is showing no DTC codes.

Focus 1.8 TDCI 2002 - Turbo not spooling after idle, with smoke. - Peter.N.

It certainly does, or the sensor elements may be coated in oil, if they are a gentle squirt of carburettor cleaner will clean them, but don't touch them they are very delicate, check that they have not broken off.