vw 1.9dsg 7speed - dsg oil change - fisher151

I have had various discussions with VW franchise re 7 speed dsg. From this I am told that my vw Golf Plus 1.9TDI DSG 2009 model does not need an oil change as it does not have a gearbox sump plug ( according to the local franchisee!) so they cannot drain the oil. Despite the fact that they keep sending me notifications to get my oil changed.(now at 40,000 miles). Can anyone confirm that this is correct - is it sealed for life??. Why would this be? I receive various answers from different VW sources. Who is right?

The last (from VW Customer services) said they will recall my vehicle to have the Metronic oil changed ( after I asked them about the various media remarks about DSG) and they also told me the gearbox drain plug is underneath the unit?! They also said the garage/franchise will be informed as to how the metronic oil can be changed. I also note that Honest John in the telgraph had an article about DSG last week that said there is no need to change the oil in the Metronic unit in the uk? That this information came from VW. Now who knows what VW Customer servcies are up to and where are they getting the information? I also need to understand a term they use at VW that my unit is a dry unit is this just ref the clutch mechanism.

vw 1.9dsg 7speed - dsg oil change - slkfanboy

Many DSG/auto gearbox's have a stickers or are stated as 'sealed for life'. This does not mean that the oil does not degrade and or need changing, just that in your case VW does not want the dealer to do so.

Two reasons for this, it means on paper the total service cost for the car will look lower. Gearbox oil is cleaned by a magnets within the gearbox and therefore needs carefully changing, else you can brake the box.

The answer to your question is the VW UK as alway does not want to do anything that costs money. The oil can be changed and may well not be that easy as is the way with seal for life gearboxes. It's not the first time ppl have had issue with the gearbox oil and VW have not let on that there is a solution that they should be fix free of charge.

VW will tell nothing needs doing and there is nothing wrong with the car until thet are blue in the face. It's a game the car companys play with us, I guess no one has told them about the internet LOL

vw 1.9dsg 7speed - dsg oil change - fisher151

hi slkfanboy,

Thank you for your reply. I understand then that the gearbox oil is difficult to change.

I was told there is no drain plug "are they correct". If there is no plug are you saying they would have to "break" the box to carry out the change?

Also can you confirm that the gearbox on this model is a sealed for life unt in the eyes of VW.

There are two types DSG7 wet clutch and dry clutch. Dry clutches do not need a change and wet clutches every 40K and therefore would be in your service manual.

There are two types DSG7 wet clutch and dry clutch. Dry clutches do not need a change and wet clutches every 40K and therefore would be in your service manual.