renault clio 1.5 dci 2007 - fuel system fault - richardpowis

Our clio has been diagnosed with an injector fault.I have been warned that this could indicate the beginnings of total system failure. I have changed the fuel filter and inspected the old one. sure enough, there is a trace of "silver paint" in the bowl of the filter, having split it open. Would this trace amount of metal residue be a sure sign of imminent failure or should I expect a good many more miles out of the pump before I have to replace it along with all the other ( contaminated) components and have the entire tank and pipework either cleaned or replaced?I am really worried about this, especially as the car is beginning to play up in other ways now, such as displaying "flat battery" symptoms when the battery is fully charged and tests out perfectly.I have been alarmed to hear of others with the same problem who have been faced with repair costs of thousands. Surely, these vehicles should not be "write offs" at 100000 miles.Has anyone managed to overcome this without bankrupting themselves or scrapping the vehicle? Sensible suggestions very welcome.

renault clio 1.5 dci 2007 - fuel system fault - Peter.N.

Does it have an in tank lift pump? I can't imagine where else metal particles could be coming from in the filter. Pump failure causing this is quite common on PSA vehicles.

The flat battery problem is probably a seperate issue, check the voltage across it with the engine running, should read about 14.4 volts, much less and you have an alternator problem or could be that the battery or starter motor are failing or just the the battery connections are not good.