Astra/coupe gearbox clunks - coupe
Anyone out there with a 2001 or newer Astra or Astra coupe 2.0turbo or 2.2 ? I'm having strange clunks and jolt like the car tries to move forward when I put it into 1st or reverse. Vauxhall tried to fix and can't (new clutch, gearbox etc) - now tell me that is operating to within manufacturing standards. I'm not impressed, has anyone experienced similar or has anyone had any joy getting the car taken back/compensated for problem ?
Problem worse when car is warm, 1.8 not affected.
Astra/coupe gearbox clunks - MikeC
I think the experts will need a bit more information, like does it clunk when you are taking up the drive, putting the clutch down, move the gear lever etc etc. My 92 Cavalier has a dreadfully jerky drivetrain. I've driven Astras and previous/current Vectras they all are difficult to drive smoothly but Astras are significantly better than the Vectras.
Astra/coupe gearbox clunks - coupe
Problem occurs when you actually try to select the gear. Clutch fully depressed (no probs) it's when you actually move the gear lever to select and it clunks and tries to move forward before it actually goes into gear. When they were testing it they had the car on the ramp and were moving the gear lever towards 1st and reverse without using the clutch which made the car rock backwards and forwards dramatically.
It's really annoying particularly as I spend about 2 hours a day crawling through traffic and not really of the standard you expect from a so-called top of the range car.
Prior to this I had a calibra, great car, this isn't a patch on it.
Astra/coupe gearbox clunks - steveb
Anyone out there with a 2001 or newer Astra or Astra
coupe 2.0turbo or 2.2 ? I'm having strange clunks and
jolt like the car tries to move forward when I put
it into 1st or reverse.

I've got a 2.2 Vectra ('01 Y - previous model, new engine) with a definite resistance/small clunk putting it into first, no problems on reverse however, happens with engine/gearbox cold/warmed up etc - ie most of the time, esp after a couple of seconds idling whilst in neutral. Car's done c29k so far however doesn't seem to be getting worse - yet......

Not investigated further however - put it down to design - new engine/gearbox combination.

Steve