Ford Fiesta Van - Fiesta van - big enough load space for bikes? - Rianp
I've been looking into a used car and have been thinking about a focus. A fiesta was appealing for its good fuel economy but I ruled it out as I frequently like to be able to put my bike or water sports equipment in the back. It's only just occurred to me that a fiesta van could offer the good economy and an open load space for various muddy and sandy kit. Can anyone tell me if it's easy to get a bike in one (wheels off of course)

Or any other suggestions for small economical vans? I guess an Astra van would be the next thing to look at if fiesta is too small.
Ford Fiesta Van - Fiesta van - big enough load space for bikes? - bathtub tom

Astra van is enormous. No good if you've short arms!

Astra van is enormous. No good if you've short arms!

Any idea what sort of fuel economy I'd get from an astra van? say a 1.7 CDTI mostly driven on motorway cruising at 70mph.

If it's comparable or better than a focus 1.8 CDTI then it could be well worth my while looking into.

Generally good vehicles? Reliable? anything particular to watch out for?

Ford Fiesta Van - Fiesta van - big enough load space for bikes? - artill

A friend has a Berlingo van for getting his mountain bike about. It never costs anything but petrol. Only downside are the postman pat jokes (yes, its red)

Ford Fiesta Van - Fiesta van - big enough load space for bikes? - Bromptonaut

As above, a Berlingo.

Seats down, the current version will take a mountain bike upright stowed fore/aft. Taken bikes for both my kids to Uni that way. In fact you could get several bike in there either rotating bars 90 degrees or stowing them in alternating directions - what my old biking friend years ago called parking in the English Fashion.

Also had a full size tourer bike (Dawes Galaxy) in the back of previous version but laid down to clear dog guard.

Our has rarely cost us anything more than fuel and wear/tear items.

Wheels off in a Fiesta van would probably be OK but not much space or other stuff or load flexibility I managed to get one in a Issigonis Mini between front and rear seats.

Berlingo is sounding pretty practical in terms of space.

What are they like on fuel economy? whatever I get will primarily be used as my vehicle to commute to work. I do a massive 2800 miles a month just getting to work. With that sort of mileage, just getting an extra 5mpg out of a vehicle would be saving me approx £40 a month. Currently I have a 1999 audi A4 estate and getting just over 30mpg - it is costing me a fortune.

Thats why I'm keen to know if something very small which will return good mpg like a fiesta van could be practical enough for me.

Berlingo economy depends on the model/engine.

We have two, an 05 1.9D now pushing 140k miles, and a 63 1.6HDi we bought last September.

The 1.9D is old tech IDI and produces a rather asthmatic 70 or so BHP, takes a while to get to 70 but happily sits there all day on the autoroute. Will do 45+mpg on a run but struggles to hit 40mpg in town. The same 02-08 body style returns much better mileage in HDi 90 guise but would have cost £1k more new.

The HDi (115hp) is a different beast. Although pushing out 50% more bhp it easily hits 40mpg in general use and 50 or better is acheivable provided you keep around 60/65 and turn the aircon off.

No knowledge of petrol versions but they might be cheaper as the market demand is for diesel.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 13/02/2014 at 14:38

Ford Fiesta Van - Fiesta van - big enough load space for bikes? - daveyK_UK

1.3 Diesel Fiat Qubo/Fiorino van, Citroen Nemo/Citroen Nemo van or Peugeot bipper van/ Peugeot Bipper Tepee

Great fuel economy, and can fit 3 bikes in the back standing up when the seats are down.

They are a great 2nd hand buy.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 13/02/2014 at 15:04

Ford Fiesta Van - Fiesta van - big enough load space for bikes? - oldtoffee

My experience of a 1.8 petrol Berlingo and a 2.0 HDi Picasso are that aerodynamics really clobbers the mpg at 70mph and above. If your commute involves a good chunk of motorway then I'd look to a low roofed van or medium/large estate for better economy unless you're happy trundling along at 55 to 60 to get the mpg.

My experience of a 1.8 petrol Berlingo and a 2.0 HDi Picasso are that aerodynamics really clobbers the mpg at 70mph and above. If your commute involves a good chunk of motorway then I'd look to a low roofed van or medium/large estate for better economy unless you're happy trundling along at 55 to 60 to get the mpg.

I agree about aerodynamics. Breeze block shapes are space efficient but you pay for that in drag - more so with a roofbox which we use for camping.

Surprised the Picasso's 'push me pull you' shape doesn't improve things which makes me wonder if its more the speed/air resistance thing common to all cars where air drag increases as square of speed.

Ford Fiesta Van - Fiesta van - big enough load space for bikes? - NorthernBoy

Probably a connect van is better for a bike than a fiesta van?

Ford Fiesta Van - Fiesta van - big enough load space for bikes? - daveyK_UK

Except the Connect (old one, not the new one that has just come out) has the horrid 1.8 diesel engine.

And for a relativly small van, the mpg is rubbish in comparison to its rivals (berlingo, doblo, etc).

Ford Fiesta Van - Fiesta van - big enough load space for bikes? - Alby Back
Are you sure you want to do your 2800 miles a month in a wee van? Don't get me wrong, I do know some people have to but usually they are getting paid for it !

Might be better to look for a more economical estate.