Petrol or Diesel for long term ownership - drjaking

I have up to 10k to buy a car. We are low users, about 5k miles a year, half of which is short city journeys. The current vehicle is a Picasso petrol which we've had for about 10y, and I would like to replace with something that will do the same job of being cheap to run and lasting a decade while shifting a family of five. As the three smallest are going to be all big by the end of that next decade, I need it to be quite a large vehicle. I have in mind the C4 Grand Picasso, S-Max, Galaxy (ex Addison Lee perhaps), Zafira, or maybe an estate like a Mondeo or Passat.

Question is, diesel or petrol. I know the conventional view is low-users should go for petrol, but does the 10y cycle change this? I think it might. The argument against diesel is that they can throw up a big expensive bill, possibly at the £2000 level. This is scary right enough, but the savings per year say for a C4Grand Picasso 1.6 diesel versus 1.6 petrol are about £419. Over ten years that's £4200 assuming a stable tax regime and fuel price ratio. Given that the massive diesel bug out mught not happen, isn't that a risk worth taking?

Petrol or Diesel for long term ownership - oldroverboy.

It.s a risk but a bigger risk buying diesel, allow for set of injectors dmf dpf egr (worst case) servicing, nore expensive oil. Distances for regenerations, Don't forget anything ex A.Lee will be "well used" to say the least, and how long will your little angels really want to travel with you. i suggest a small estate car, ie astra/cruze petrol, cheap for bits, room for plenty of kit in side for £10k you can find a new cruze petrol if you look and will get the peace of mind of 3 years new warranty. will also get pre-reg zafira .6 or meriva.

I would not recommend anyone to buy a used diesel, purely because you do not know how it has been used, and at the risk of repeating myself, A used car warranty is expensive toilet paper unless the car is still under manufactrers warranty.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 12/02/2014 at 16:25

I hope a good few years of family driving yet. I'm certainly looking for capacity, mainly for holidays and weekends away. There is no limit to the amount of stuff we can "need", and camping is on the agenda. With nowhere to put a trailer, a large car is a necessity.

But i am becoming convinced about the petrol over diesel, even though in many cases it's the less desirable option. For example nobody has a nice word to say about the 1.6 Zafira or 1.8 Orlando petrols, which otherwise look like terrific value.
Petrol or Diesel for long term ownership - RT

Petrol - no-brainer at 5k miles/year - cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain particularly over 10 years.

Modern diesels have DPFs - which you'll kill at that low mileage / short journey routine - and extended warm-up time of diesels will mean the fuel saving isn't as much as the statistics suggest in short journey use.

Petrol or Diesel for long term ownership - Trilogy

I don't find a diesel car costs any more to service than a petrol car. I've had four diesels.

When did DPFs come in, is it worth considering a low mileage slightly older diesel?
Petrol or Diesel for long term ownership - skidpan

Your arguement to justify a diesel even for a relatively low mileage is the same one I have used in the past, I did 37,500 miles in my 1 series BMW and over 5 1/2 years i owned it I calculated I saved almost £3000 plus I never had any of the much discussed diesel issues. Even without the savings I would probably still have bought the diesel since the petrols available were gutless beasts that drank fuel at an alarming rate when you thrashed them to get decent performance.

Having said that when i bought my last new car I bought petrol since with the newer small turbo petrols its very difficult to justify buying a diesel. I bought a Seat Leon 1.4 TSi 140 PS. It has the same power that my BMW had but is much faster, the BMW averaged 48 mpg over the time I had it, the Seat has averaged 45 mpg so far. Factor in the lower price of petrol and that increases to almost 48 mpg thus my fuel costs have remained the same. The Seat is £30 a year RFL, again the same as the BMW.

You mention an estate, I suggest you consider the Skoda Octavia Estate and the new Seat Leon Tourer both of which you can get with the 140 PS 1.4 engine. Forget the VW and Audi's, they are simply way to expensive for the same car. If you want good economy forget the Mondeo diesel, we had one, averaged 38mpg.

I love diesels but when petrols this good are on the market why risk big bills. I would not have said that 12 months ago but owning the TSi has proved to me how much things have moved on.

Petrol or Diesel for long term ownership - Collos25

If I had 10k to spend on a car given your usage I would buy a hybrid either a Honda Insight or a Prius both petrol both reliable with a long gaurantee plenty of room in both cars,worth thinking about.

Edited by Collos25 on 12/02/2014 at 16:49

Petrol or Diesel for long term ownership - oldtoffee

Is that £419 a year just in fuel savings? If the petrol Picasso does worst case 30mpg and the diesel optimistically 45mpg that's 55 gallons extra a year or £300 not £419. At 5000 miles a year the diesel unit won't warm up fully on a good number of the journeys so you won't get near average economy. A couple of big bills on the diesel over 10 years and any fuel savings will be wiped out and more. I'd look petrol and if you're looking for 10 years of low hassle ownership bet your money on Japanese or Korean, not French.

Petrol or Diesel for long term ownership - Bromptonaut

I'm a diesel man through and through but wouldn't be at that mileage. We've already put 6k on a Berlingo bought last September.

Your chances of problems with anti-pollution kit on a diesel increase rapidly with low mileage. Of course usage pattern plays a part. If a 100 mile round trip very fortnight is part of your routine you're in a different place to short commute + shopping. I'd still be wary though.

Japanese or Korean might be way to go but we had 100k miles pretty well trouble free in an 05 Berlingo.

Petrol or Diesel for long term ownership - gordonbennet

If you really do want to keep it ten years, then LPG converting a petrol would be a sound investment, assuming you have suitable convenient reasonably priced LPG outlets.

The cost of the conversion, apart from fuel savings, would be offset by the cheaper initial purchase price.

I've left Diesel completely after 25 odd years, too bloomin complicated now.

Petrol or Diesel for long term ownership - jamie745

Petrol.

Diesels are unnecessary horrible things. They belong on a farm.

Petrol.

Diesels are unnecessary horrible things. They belong on a farm.

I get the impression you haven't driven one of the latest 6 cylinder diesels. Can be a better drive than a petrol version.

Petrol or Diesel for long term ownership - Chrome

I like the torque characteristics of a turbo diesel. Easy and relaxing to drive too. I also like the clattery sound of a diesel. Diesel powers Agriculture,construction,trains,buses,emergency service vehicles,armed forces vehicles. I would say absolutely necessary.

North London seems to be an LPG desert or I would consider this, although that boot space is probably essential.
North London seems to be an LPG desert or I would consider this, although that boot space is probably essential.

This any use.

www.filllpg.co.uk/index.php?page=lpg.php

It's a tax plus fuel estimate based on my mileage and the real world mpg figures i found. No objection to Asian vehicles if they fit. Any suggested models? Toyota Verso seems OK, or a Mazda?
I'd never considered it. 5 big people driving to Scotland with all their camping stuff kind of big?
The Octavia looks interesting, but not sure if it will be wide enough after the Pic. One of the attractive things about eg the c4 Grand Picasso is the the proper seats in the middle row.

That 1.4 is pretty amazing though, a lot of power for the economy. I wish there was an MPV that used it.

I have up to 10k to buy a car. We are low users, about 5k miles a year, half of which is short city journeys. The current vehicle is a Picasso petrol which we've had for about 10y, and I would like to replace with something that will do the same job of being cheap to run and lasting a decade while shifting a family of five. As the three smallest are going to be all big by the end of that next decade, I need it to be quite a large vehicle. I have in mind the C4 Grand Picasso, S-Max, Galaxy (ex Addison Lee perhaps), Zafira, or maybe an estate like a Mondeo or Passat.

Question is, diesel or petrol. I know the conventional view is low-users should go for petrol, but does the 10y cycle change this? I think it might. The argument against diesel is that they can throw up a big expensive bill, possibly at the £2000 level. This is scary right enough, but the savings per year say for a C4Grand Picasso 1.6 diesel versus 1.6 petrol are about £419. Over ten years that's £4200 assuming a stable tax regime and fuel price ratio. Given that the massive diesel bug out mught not happen, isn't that a risk worth taking?

Ultimately, only you can decide if it is a risk worth taking.

That is undeniably correct. What i thought though was that by discussing it with the good people of this forum on the internet, i would elaborate my understanding of the various contingencies and thus be better placed to make the decision. So far it's working out pretty well!
Petrol or Diesel for long term ownership - artill

I wouldnt even think about a diesel with you mileage, and the time you want to keep the car. However, if you want a biggish car, be careful with your choice of petrol. Small engines are all the rage, but anything under 2.0 litres is going to feel out of its depth when you fill the car up. You could get a turbo'd small petrol, but again, its introducing things that could cost you in the long run.

How about a 2.0 Honda Accord Estate?

Petrol or Diesel for long term ownership - unthrottled

The concensus about short journeys and low annual mileage not being diesel's forte are spot on. But lets keep some perspective regarding the 'complexity of modern diesels' mantra.

Why is a common rail injection system considered 'complex' when applied to diesel, but a non issue when its been the standard fuel delivery system for 25 years on petrol engines?

Why is EGR 'complex' only when applied to diesel but not when it is equally ubiquitous on petrol?

Why is a convoluted variable valve timing/lift system considerd a technological innovation, but a DPF with no moving parts considered 'complex'?

Why is the risk of oil dilution during DPF regeneration considered an unacceptable problem, but the inevitable oil dilution incurred by petrols when starting from cold or at full throttle considered to be normal?

For a petrol to compete with diesel on raw efficiency it must overcome hurdles that the diesel never had in the first place-and it ain't gonna bear much resemblence to your A series with an SU carb perched on top.

Petrol or Diesel for long term ownership - oldroverboy.

The concensus about short journeys and low annual mileage not being diesel's forte are spot on. But lets keep some perspective regarding the 'complexity of modern diesels' mantra.

For a petrol to compete with diesel on raw efficiency it must overcome hurdles that the diesel never had in the first place-and it ain't gonna bear much resemblence to your A series with an SU carb perched on top.

Can you strip and rebuild an an A series blindfolded?

No. Why?

Petrol or Diesel for long term ownership - SteveLee

- "Why is a common rail injection system considered 'complex' when applied to diesel, but a non issue when its been the standard fuel delivery system for 25 years on petrol engines?"

Modern diesel injection systems pulse-inject for emissions reasons - as diesels are compression ignition engines, the injection timing is vital as the window to inject is smaller - hence the unreliability of the increasingly sophisticated injector technology required to do this. Diesel fuel also suffers from various infections that can block these delicate injections systems - petrol doesn't.

- "Why is EGR 'complex' only when applied to diesel but not when it is equally ubiquitous on petrol?"

Diesel engines produce lots of soot which is why diesel EGR valves block up and petrol ones, on the whole, don't.

- "Why is a convoluted variable valve timing/lift system considerd a technological innovation, but a DPF with no moving parts considered 'complex' "

Variable valve timing systems are usually reliable. DMFs have been a constant issue on many makes of cars - when fitted to a diesel - DMFs on petrols usually last the life of the car - you'd expect the former technology to be more unreliable - but it's not.

- "Why is the risk of oil dilution during DPF regeneration considered an unacceptable problem, but the inevitable oil dilution incurred by petrols when starting from cold or at full throttle considered to be normal?"

I've never seen a petrol car suffer oil dilution issues to the point where the oil level increases - reasonably common on many diesels and as overfilled engine oil can cause self-destructing run-away diesel engines this is a real problem, a petrol car would generally just smoke if over-filled with engine oil.

- "For a petrol to compete with diesel on raw efficiency it must overcome hurdles that the diesel never had in the first place-and it ain't gonna bear much resemblence to your A series with an SU carb perched on top."

The diesel engine couldn't compete with a petrol engine for passenger car use without a Turbo charger- so the advantage isn't inherent to diesels - small petrol turbos are clawing back a lot of the efficiency deficit - the raw efficientcy of a diesel is great - but when you start chucking diesel into the exhaust system to regen the DPF the efficiency advantage is chipped away, especially as small turbo petrols are now delivering impressive power and decent fuel economy.

Petrol or Diesel for long term ownership - Bromptonaut

The diesel engine couldn't compete with a petrol engine for passenger car use without a Turbo charger- so the advantage isn't inherent to diesels - small petrol turbos are clawing back a lot of the efficiency deficit - the raw efficientcy of a diesel is great - but when you start chucking diesel into the exhaust system to regen the DPF the efficiency advantage is chipped away, especially as small turbo petrols are now delivering impressive power and decent fuel economy.

Most of the rest of Steve's post is the standard argument against diesel and you have to weigh it against the plus points others put forward. Plenty of people pop up on forums etcto say they've had trouble while the majority just drive the thing.

I'd dispute the cannot compete without a turbo bit. The diesel car market in Europe was transformed by the PSA XUD engine. While available in turbo guises it was perfectly capable of powering cars as varied in size as the Pug 205 and Cit BX without a turbo. Not as fast of the line as equivalent petrols but mid range torque meant it performed better on 30-50 and 40-70 increments.

My non turbo 1.9D Berlingo keeps up in traffic and will sit on the autoroute at 130kph if I want it to. With a turbo a diesel will outperform petrol for real economy and in many facets of ordinary road driving

By competing with they have to perform on the same level, even in the in-gear bands mentioned, they may feel like they are giving a slug of performance but put an equivilant capacity petrol next to them and it would just disappear, there's no way a NA diesel is in the same league as a petrol performance-wise. The XU petrols were generally tuned for mid-range grunt and performed well without reving them. I liked the old NA XUD powered cars, the efficiency and simplicity made compelling "for" arguments, however BXs weighed nothing as did ZXs, which were acceptable with the non turbo engine. NA diesel engines are also very unrefined - that's another aspect of "competing with" where they simple cannot compete. Most drivers would find NA diesels unacceptably rough and ready.

Just a thought... If I stretched it to 12k, I could get a new Zafira 1.7 diesel. Does the a Vauxhall lifetime warranty cover these high cost diesel problems?

Petrol or Diesel for long term ownership - Avant

"That 1.4 is pretty amazing though, a lot of power for the economy. I wish there was an MPV that used it."

The VW Touran does, although this may not be as romy as your Picasso. The Skoda Yeti has the 1.2 105 bhp TSI engine which is said to be more than adequate. You'd need to try one and see if it does the job for you.

I woyuld certainly have one of those over any Vauxhall. I would imagine the Vauxhall warranty covers manufacturing defects up to 100,000 miles (first owner only), but that as mileage mounts they would reject more and more claims as being due to wear and tear.

The VW Touran does, although this may not be as romy as your Picasso. The Skoda Yeti has the 1.2 105 bhp TSI engine which is said to be more than adequate. You'd need to try one and see if it does the job for you.

Touran was already in the frame - the extra seats are a plus, the mpg looks good, and my impression is that it's on a par with the Xsara Picasso for space.

What are the downsides? Are these small turbo petrol engines prone to any problems?

Petrol or Diesel for long term ownership - Snakey

The thing is, if you save £419 a year, are you going to put that to one side in the event of a big bill if a diesel problem does occur?

I hear loads of people telling me how they save £500 by buying a diesel, and then forget to factor in a) the higher cost of the car b) the higher cost of the fuel and c) the fact they replaced the DMF at a cost of £1200 but other than that it has been totally reliable ;-)

I ran several Ford Focuses (Focii!?) some petrol and some diesel. The diesel got 48mpg and was theoretically saving me money. But when things went wrong I had to spend £100's to rectifty. The petrol ones were doing the same mileage and also had their faults but generally were much cheaper to fix.

I like modern diesels, but I'd only put my money into one if it still had the manufacturers warranty (if thats worth the paper its written on of course!)

I guess I'm very fortunate that my income exceeds my expenditure, and I'm pretty frugal so that £420 would effectively get saved. It's not that I would blow it on a big party every time I passed the MOT! At the same time though, I'd rather simply not get into that big bill position, and as there are some options emerging that look like they narrow that difference to more like £200/y I am getting convinced by petrol. Candidates now are:

Touran

Octavia Estate

C4 Grand Picasso

Looks like a trip to Cargiant to have a play (on a weekday though, it's murder up there at the weekend)

Toyota Avensis Estate - those 1.8 petrol Toyota engines are very efficient - 45mpg on a cruise is not uncommon. Unfortunately because of the crazy company car tax rules where plant food is considered poison. Most manuals are diesel - the vast majority of recent petrol 1.8 are autos although the economy is still impressive. The 1.6s are okay but no fire-breathers and you may find the less stressed 1.8s give better real-world economy.

C4 Grand Picasso

Electric parking brake on a car you wish to keep 10 years?

the fact they replaced the DMF at a cost of £1200 but other than that it has been totally reliable

Again, DMFs are not unique to diesels. You can argue that a diesel puts more stress on a DMF than does a petrol, but that's only true if you don't start chopping cylinders off petrols to try to claw back some of the efficiency deficit.

Tubocharging a petrol succesfully is much harder than turbocharging a diesel because air management is much more demanding and the temperatures are much higher.

Turbo charging diesels used to be simpler, with petrols you have to contend with avoiding detonation etc so boost had to be carefully controlled, with a diesel you just slapped the turbo on and got the fuelling vaguely right.

With modern diesels as they've strived to match the performance of a petrol engine in term of BHP and to reduce the annoying slug-of-power for 1K revs then nothing issue. Modern diesels have a turbo that's oversized volume-wise for the job - this is to increase the bhp figures by carrying the torque curve further up the rev-range to provide the more "petrol like" power delivery consumers demand. The net result is a turbo installation that, if given its head, will produce enormous amounts of (unwanted) torque in the mid-range - manufacturers were faced with building transmission that can handle truck-like torque loads (expensive and not good for economy or shift quality) or to carefully manage boost keeping torque levels in check, but utilising the boost available further up the rev-range as the torque figure drops off to make the headline-grabbing bhp figures. The net result is the same controls that were required to stop petrol turbos detonating are now required to save the transmission from torque overloads. Diesel turbo installations are therefore now as complicated as petrol ones.

Petrol-turbos need to control the boost and the fuelling - turbo-diesels only need to control the fuelling.

Petrol engines require the air-fuel mixture to be retained - diesels will quite happily run with excess air.

Petrol-turbos need to control the boost and the fuelling - turbo-diesels only need to control the fuelling.

Petrol engines require the air-fuel mixture to be retained - diesels will quite happily run with excess air.

They don't need boost control to function, but they do need it to control exhaust temps (particularly with the increased use of cats), emissions and torque loadings - as well as to protect the installation plumbing and the turbo itself, which is why modern diesel instalations are aware of boost and control it usually via variable vane turbos. What's the uniquitous N75 valve fitted to VAG TDIs for?

What's the uniquitous N75 valve fitted to VAG TDIs for?

To stop the turbo over speeding.

RT is right, with a diesel all you have to do keep sufficient excess air to avoid excessive black smoke. You don't need to match fuelling with airflow. With a petrol, you have to quickly vent boost when you close the throttle to prevent the compressor surging. That means you lose all your boost every time you momentarily lift off the throttle.That means the turbine housing needs to be undersized in order to keep spool up times sufficiently short. You pay a price for an undersized turbine in the form of excessive back pressure.

Diesels cool their exhaust components with excess air-which is free. Petrols either have to use excess fuel which is wasteful or water cooled exhaust manifolds which is another element of 'complexity' that a diesel doesn't have to contend with.

No one is saying that petrols can't be successfully turbocharged. But to criticise modern diesels for being complicated whilst praising latest generation petrols for being innovative is simply being disingenuous.

Diesel powers Agriculture,construction,trains,buses,emergency service vehicles,armed forces vehicles. I would say absolutely necessary.

That's all fine and they can stay there.

You do not need a diesel engine in a car.

How about a petrol Corolla Verso?

Diesel powers Agriculture,construction,trains,buses,emergency service vehicles,armed forces vehicles.

and Jaguars !

Petrol or Diesel for long term ownership - alan1302

You do not need a diesel engine in a car.

You do not need a petrol engine in a car either

Yes you do.

Big one.

6 cylinders minimum.

Petrol or Diesel for long term ownership - alan1302

Yes you do.

Big one.

6 cylinders minimum.

N'ah nice electric motor is all you need

Petrol or Diesel for long term ownership - Avant

We've moved away a bit from the OP's query. No harm in thread drift, but let's not lose sight of it.

To your list of Touran, Octavia and another Picasso, you could add the Toyota Verso and the bigger Skoda, the Superb, which has the sort of rear legroom your kids may need eventually if you keep the car for a long time, as you intend to.

As you can see, there are plenty of pros and cons of both petreol and diesel. I personally would go for petrol on balance - but if you do decide on a diesel, there seem to be fewer problems with Ford 2.0 litre engines and the VW/Skoda/SEAT 1.9 diesel.

Petrol or Diesel for long term ownership - Ronneh

At that milage I'd go petrol. I'd be looking at some crossover types as well rather than a Picasso sort of thing, just a better overall car imo.

Petrol or Diesel for long term ownership - Chiffchaff

Hello. New here!

I'm in a similar situation/dilemma, though with two little 'uns. The low tax of diesels is definitely tempting...

Regarding the DPF mentioned by other posters, the Peugeot dealership I was in recently assured me that one motorway trip a month was enough to keep the DPF happy (or FAP, as they call it), and that it wouldn't need replacing until well after 100,000 miles if looked after in this way, so if they were being honest that side of things shouldn't be an issue for you.

Don't know if the Peugeot FAP is any different to other filters put on diesels these days, though, or if the newer Peugeot diesels are reliable in the long term!

Petrol or Diesel for long term ownership - Gibbo_Wirral

I'd say that's just dealer salesman patter. How do they know how many local miles you'll br racking up?

I've known owners need to have work done on the DPF way before 100,000 miles.

The Peugeot system uses an additive pouch that's in the rear nearside wheel arch (older models have a re-fillable tank), and a fuel cap sensor which injects the additive when you fill up.

Petrol or Diesel for long term ownership - NorthernBoy

any one got a Ford Ecoboost engine? are they economical?

Don't know if the Peugeot FAP is any different to other filters put on diesels these days, though, or if the newer Peugeot diesels are reliable in the long term!

To be fair the PSA system doesn't seem to cause many problems, few if any reports of the sump filling up with fuel which some are well known for.

You know that at some point between 70 and 100k miles, the system will need topping up and the PSA dealer will try to sell you a new FAP, by that time its out of warranty so no harm in getting the fluid replaced, and then, if it were me, get one of the (very few) specialist DPF cleaning companies to work their magic on the filter, darn sight cheaper than a new FAP.

I don't think PSA (or Ford) have fitted eloys system to new cars for some time. It reduced the temperature required for regeneration but the eloys formed ash that permanently blocked the DPF channels which is why it fell it out of favour. Conventional DPFs should be good for over 100,000 miles.

PSA diesels are pretty good. BMW and Ford certainly think so...

Edited by unthrottled on 14/02/2014 at 17:13

The car I'm looking for will probably never get to 100,000 miles. If I bought it new it would likely do 50,000 in ten years.

Annexing how diesels have dominated the market. For most models it seems to be 80% or more. Only a handful of Skids Superb estate petrols for sale in the whole country.