Subaru Legacy - I may have bought a dodgy car - Aerostat

I recently purchased a 1999 Subaru Legacy, and I have just received a letter from DVLA telling me that it has previously been notified as accident damaged and before I can get a V5C document I will need to put the car through a vehicle identity check costing £41. Obviously I am concerned about the history and condition of the car and I would like my money refunded by the seller. What are my legal options? The seller is a private individual.

Subaru Legacy - I may have bought a dodgy car - martint123

Unless you asked if it had been written off and got a negative answer I think you've had it.

Sounds like you didn't get an HPI check either which may have given some comeback. Likewise an AA?RAC inspection.

You only chance might be if the vehicle is unroadworthy. The VIC check is just to ensure the identiy of the vehicle and or replacement parts not the quality of the repair (if any),

tinyurl.com/orts6ag

The Road Traffic Act makes it illegal for anyone to sell a car that is not roadworthy. This applies equally to private sellers and car dealers

Subaru Legacy - I may have bought a dodgy car - FP

The other possible line to follow is that the car should be as described. As Martin says above, if the buyer asked about the car being a write-off and got a lie as an answer, that is grounds to reject the car. But establishing this could be very difficult and may come down to one person's word against another's.

This, from Autotrader's website, may make uncomfortable reading for the OP:

"Buying from a private seller means you’re not covered by any specific laws other than those relating to the legal right to sell goods. As such, it’s important to make thorough checks.

At the very least, you should:
• Expect the car to be sold as described by the seller
• Ensure the seller has the legal right to sell the car
• Get the seller’s landline telephone number and home address
• Prepare a receipt and ensure both you and the seller keep a copy

You should always carry out a vehicle history check to ensure the car hasn’t been written-off, recorded as stolen or subject to outstanding finance before you commit to buying a car." (Italics mine)

Subaru Legacy - I may have bought a dodgy car - tony g
You bought a 15 year old car and didn't do even the most rudimentary of checks ,put it down to experience and move on .
Subaru Legacy - I may have bought a dodgy car - pd

To be perfectly honest it makes little difference to its value at this age.

By the sound of it, it was recently written off. A scratched bumper can easily write off a car of this age and no one is going to carry out a major repair on it as the figures don't add up.

The vendor should have told you but if it is otherwise sound and decent it isn't the end of the world.

You need to make an appointment with your local VOSA office for the check and, once carried out, they will issue the V5.