Generic issue - Condensation inside front windscreen - Durelli_tyres

I have a lot of condensation inside my front windscreen. The screen is a bit misty overall, but near the bottom there are several droplets of water on the screen.

One the frosty mornings I scrape the ice from the outside, then have to come inside and scrape ice on the inside too.

I have tried Holts screenies to try and keep inside of screen clean and it normally is clean, but this winter there is a lot of condensation.

Any tips on how to deal with this? Is it a case of clearing screen so condensation doesn't settle. Or is there a dehumidifier type device for cars that soaks up the water?

Thanks

D
Generic issue - Condensation inside front windscreen - Happy Blue!

Sounds like a number of issues including: -

• Blocked pollen filter or replacement filter not seating properly;
  • Other water leaks into the car - check the floor under the fitted carpet. If it is wet, find the source of water ingress; or
  • Have you left the heating controls on recirculating air rather than fresh air?

In orther words there is too much water in the car and it is not getting out fast enough.

Generic issue - Condensation inside front windscreen - NARU

it happens if you do lots of short journeys.

I put a big bag (2kg) of silica gel in a breathable bag in the car it it mostly soaks it up. I put the bag into the airing cupbard to dry out for the weekend when needed.

Generic issue - Condensation inside front windscreen - mss1tw

My Berlingo is a sod for this. No leaks I can find and it doesn't have a pollen filter or A.C.

I leave a fan heater in there and run it in the mornings, bit over-kill for condensation but it saves smearing the screen and is fantastic when the frost starts.

Edited by mss1tw on 27/01/2014 at 13:27

Generic issue - Condensation inside front windscreen - Andrew-T

In the weather we are having you can't hope to keep a car dry inside for long. Just consider wet shoes (making wet footwells), wet clothing, umbrellas, anything else that gets in the car with you. The air-con may be the most effective way to get the screen clear.

Overnight most of the dampness in a car condenses inside the screen, which is half-horizontal, rather than on the more vertical side windows, which are marginally less cold.

Edited by Andrew-T on 27/01/2014 at 15:24

Generic issue - Condensation inside front windscreen - Sofa Spud

If there's warm, relatively moist air trapped in the car when it's parked and the temperature outside goes down, this is bound to happen. It has always happened and it always will, even if the car is a brand-new Rolls-Royce Phantom!

The solution is to keep rags and/or tissues in the car to wipe the wet screen with!

Generic issue - Condensation inside front windscreen - RT

If there's warm, relatively moist air trapped in the car when it's parked and the temperature outside goes down, this is bound to happen. It has always happened and it always will, even if the car is a brand-new Rolls-Royce Phantom!

The solution is to keep rags and/or tissues in the car to wipe the wet screen with!

Or avoid the air being trapped - just ensure the climate control isn't in a "recirc" setting before switching the engine off - it also helps to avoid having the a/c running for the last mile before switch off, this reduces the amount of condensate in the heater system.

Generic issue - Condensation inside front windscreen - madf

The only solution is a heated garage..

Generic issue - Condensation inside front windscreen - Bromptonaut

Some steaming of inside is to be expected on a cold morning. Worst is when car's stood in winter sun all day and temperature drops rapidly at nightfall.

Applying de-icer to outside makes it worse!!

At home I use warm water both to remove frost and warm the interior glass enough to drive off the condensation. A flask of water filled before leaving work was useful when car was left at station all day. Keeping the glass spotless on inside helps too.

If condensation was bad enought for droplets to be regularly forming I'd be looking for leaks, bloked pollen filters etc. Check carpets carefully in all four footwells and in the boot. Also spare wheel well if there is one. My Xantia did this for ages before I eventually found the boot carpet was wet. Water found it's way inside the tailgate (estate) and was draining through its inside liner. Sealng external joins etc with clear silicone sealant cured it.