VW Phaeton - Diesel and Biofuel - Phaeton Phan

Hi all

First post, due to the mess biofuel seems to making of our diesel filters. I only use BP Ultimate or similar, but have been unable to find if there is any biofuel involved after the blanket legislation by HMG. Having been used to treating boat fuel (due to the time it spends in the tank), I was wondering if there is any scope to treat car fuel (if biofuel is an issue) with the same biocide, killing any sludge forming bacteria.

As an aside, there is a large notice on my fuel flap saying no Biofuel! Any experts out there?

Mike

VW Phaeton - Diesel and Biofuel - RT

Under EU legislation, fuel companies are required to use a MINIMUM % of biodiesel - any cars on sale in the EU must be capable of using 7% bio-diesel.

Road fuel should have the necessary biocides included in their additive package.

Interesting. Why the sudden surge of filter blockages over the last 12 months? It might be a bit of 'Daily Mail' headline at the moment, but there seems to be real concern amongst credible media. Has any member had problems yet?

VW Phaeton - Diesel and Biofuel - Collos25

Millions upon million of diesel cars runnining throughout Europe without any problem there is a lot of scaremongering especially by the British tabloid press.Most of these filters that are blocked are down to poor servicing and poor maintanance.

VW Phaeton - Diesel and Biofuel - RT

Millions upon million of diesel cars runnining throughout Europe without any problem there is a lot of scaremongering especially by the British tabloid press.Most of these filters that are blocked are down to poor servicing and poor maintanance.

There was a short-term issue affecting the Eastern part of the UK but it was quickly over so must relate to a specific batch of fuel - most likely an omission to add the required biocide - doesn't mean there's any sort of general problem.

Reassuring stuff - thank you.

VW Phaeton - Diesel and Biofuel - craig-pd130

Is yours the V10 diesel, by any chance? Always fancied a spin in one of those :)

Is yours the V10 diesel, by any chance? Always fancied a spin in one of those :)

Unfortunately not - 3.0 V6. Still a glorious way to travel though!

VW Phaeton - Diesel and Biofuel - Collos25

They make them in my home city in the Glass factory (along with a few Bentleys which are the same under the skin). A very good friend of mine works in factory I have been round it a couple of times its an amazing place and an amazing car they operate 24/7 and the waiting list for them gets longer.

Due to the badge, they depreciate massively in the UK, which makes them such good value for money second hand. Very few people know what is under the skin and what a hugely accomplished car they are getting. Suits me just fine - I am on my second.

Edited by Phaeton Phan on 26/01/2014 at 17:34

VW Phaeton - Diesel and Biofuel - craig-pd130

Due to the badge, they depreciate massively in the UK, which makes them such good value for money second hand. Very few people know what is under the skin and what a hugely accomplished car they are getting. Suits me just fine - I am on my second.

I wonder how many have been sold in the UK over the last 10 years or so -- there's a couple around here (Macclesfield area), they do look good.

Did you buy yours from the VW dealer network?

VW Phaeton - Diesel and Biofuel - milb1

We have lots of problems on the truck side with bio diesel but like you said its mainly down to poor maintenance regular filter changes the problem is sorted

Agreed that regular maintenance is essential. I tend to overservice my cars, although I am wary of keeping old fuel in the tanks if the car is not used for a while (I go overseas occasionally). Trying to find the technical content of fuel is almost impossible, which makes comparing biofuel content difficult. I would hope the premium fuels have the lowest!

I bought my Phaeton from an independant, but I knew the model well and knew what I was looking for - however, I dont think the dealer knew what he had! There is an excellent forum here: forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay.php?112