VW Sharan 1.9 TDI,1996,1Z engine - VW Sharan 1.9 TDI,hard start - Yasen

Hi,

I've got the folowing problem.The car start hard.You have to crank the engine for about 10-15 seconds to start.It does not matter cold or warm.When it start ,runs verywell.No loss of power,no smoke,just fine.Starter works well.I have changed the glow plugs.The glow plug relay works too.The timing is ok too.Compression is 29 bars.After all this checking,i try to start the car pushing.It start straightway.Try it 10 more times.No problem, it starts straightway.It need to turn the wheel a quarter to start.I've put it on diagnostic,no fault codes stored.So i get stuck at that point.Please help

VW Sharan 1.9 TDI,1996,1Z engine - VW Sharan 1.9 TDI,hard start - elekie&a/c doctor
Diesel pump front seal needs replacing.the fuel system is sucking in air causing poor start.

It make sense.Do you now how to check that,just to be sure.

VW Sharan 1.9 TDI,1996,1Z engine - VW Sharan 1.9 TDI,hard start - elekie&a/c doctor

The only way to check it is to have the diesel pump removed.This involves cam belt and sprocket removal.hth

If the seal is broken,then the engine should start same way on starter and pushing. When pushing it start immediately.