mazda 323f ba model - ignition fire - jkz71

hi my mazda has developed a problem with the ignition, it basically goes on fire periodically.

also I recently replaced the timing belt that charges the battery and 6 weeks later it has snapped again.

the ignition also went on fire at the same time, but it will still turn the motor over with a full battery, does anyone know are these connected and why does the timing/charging belt keep snapping? does it need a heat shield ??

mazda 323f ba model - ignition fire - mss1tw

Worst troll ever.

mazda 323f ba model - ignition fire - oldroverboy.

Maybe the car needs a new driver.

mazda 323f ba model - ignition fire - Avant

I'm not sure. It does sound improbable - if this is a genuine problem could you please give us some more details about 'catching fire'

every now and then the starter motor turns itself "over" when the car was moving, and on the opposite side (the left handside) grey smoke comes out where the coil is located. I d reckon that some how that whatever failsafe is built in has obviously failed and that a surge is coming back to the ignition and causing the fire.

I don't know if the charger belt is helping the "surge" or whether it is coincidental but, its the second time it will be replaced in 6 weeks. unfortunately i haven't recovered either belt thats snapped as I've noticed the charge light too late.

any genuine help/info would be appreciated. tanx

mazda 323f ba model - ignition fire - focussed

hi my mazda has developed a problem with the ignition, it basically goes on fire periodically.

also I recently replaced the timing belt that charges the battery and 6 weeks later it has snapped again.

the ignition also went on fire at the same time, but it will still turn the motor over with a full battery, does anyone know are these connected and why does the timing/charging belt keep snapping? does it need a heat shield ??

So, your ignition goes on fire periodically.

And the timing belt that charges the battery snaps after 6 weeks and the ignition went on fire at the same time.

Hmmm- sounds serious-I would advise taking it to a main dealer, you know, the one next to the fire station, just in case they are able to reproduce the faults that you have described.

mazda 323f ba model - ignition fire - jc2

Shouldn't this be moved to "Technical?".

mazda 323f ba model - ignition fire - mss1tw

Shouldn't this be moved to "Technical?".

More like 'fictional'!

mazda 323f ba model - ignition fire - madf

There is an easy solution.Next time it catches fire, leave it to burn.

yeah really thats a real solution ****hole

mazda 323f ba model - ignition fire - skidpan

Perhaps the OP should sit inside whilst its on fire and monitor the situation closely.

this is actually a "real Problem" could it be a surge coming back from the battery thru the ignition coil? if i knew why this was happening do you think i would go on to a forum to "air it" and get replys from all the "sideshow bobs out there who havent nuthin better to do but troll forums for kix

mazda 323f ba model - ignition fire - RichT54

When you say " it basically goes on fire periodically" what exactly happens?

Are there flames? Is there smoke?

Is something burning? If so what is burning?

mazda 323f ba model - ignition fire - madf

I am sorry but anyone who has the problems you describe and does not immediately take the car to a garage to sort out - but leaves it and asks questions on a forum - is a danger to themselves and any passengers. Not to mention any cars parked near them - especially in MSPs.

Edited by madf on 31/12/2013 at 16:13

well its off the road now obviously but on the occasions that it "smoked" i hadn't actually planned it into my schedule for it to go on fire . and i wish i had the money to go to a main dealer and have the car brought there safely on the back of a tow truck, but do ye now what? I don't or I would have already done so.

the reason i went on to a forum is for the chance that someone would know whats causing it and maybe suggest if its a broken coil, distributor or altenator.

go onto club323f.com and see there are actually helpful people out there with good info and direct you to other links for similar problems. tanx for yours btw really helpful. like I'm trying to restore the car not watch it go up in flames

I am sorry but anyone who has the problems you describe and does not immediately take the car to a garage to sort out - but leaves it and asks questions on a forum - is a danger to themselves and any passengers. Not to mention any cars parked near them - especially in MSPs.

mazda 323f ba model - ignition fire - oldroverboy.

Ok, I thought it was joke, but just maybe it isn't. Ignition switch which is on the end of the steering wheel lock and is sticking??? resistance or short to current could possible cause smoking smell of burning.

mazda 323f ba model - ignition fire - bathtub tom

>>every now and then the starter motor turns itself "over" when the car was moving

It's possible the starter's operating through some electrical fault. I've experienced this and the starter self-destroyed within a few seconds!

The alternator could be overloaded due to some electrical problem, causing the belt to slip/smoke/break. I'd guess the alternator would have a similar life expectancy to the starter!

You need professional help.

mazda 323f ba model - ignition fire - Avant

JKZ71 - if you'd given us the infomation at the beginning that you provided in your 31 December post, I'd have moved it to Technical and you'd have got helpful replies from the outset.

If you look at your original post you can see why some people thought it improbable. But you now have some good advice: it sounds like a short circuit and/or loose electrical connection and unless you're an expert I suggest you go to an independent garage or auto electrician. Avoid Mazda dealers - I've yet to find a good one and they will be too expensive.

Edited by Avant on 01/01/2014 at 11:39

yeah probably not the best opening lines I have to admit. and I prob should have wrote it out first and read it.

anyway the reasonn why i "posted first" is in my relatively small experience with MSL garages in ireland is they find more problems than you actually have. also if I could get in the general ball park area ie, alternator, coil or whatever would seem to be the closest.

To be sure I will be taking it to a qualified mechanic to fix it and given my shoestring budget after xmas it is easier to buy the parts first and then agree a labour price with a mechanic. sorry for any confusion. apart from the current electrical fault, and the odd small expenses like brake pads and normal wear and tear i have had plenty good moments driving my car without being a danger to anyone parking close to me in car parks or other. so tanx for the advice and in the not so distant future i will update the post on whether "daisy" still lives or has gone to the great breakers yard in the sky.

mazda dealers are just tooo expensive, €170 just to replace front brake pads.