nissan almera - diagnostic tests - affleck

I hope someone here can answer my question as i am going mad. I own a 2001/2002 nissan almera 1.8 sport, it has just turned over 78000 miles. I had the timing chain changed about 3 years ago. The problem i have now is, a while back i did a journey of about 25 miles and my engine management light came on, i took it to my local garage and the diagnosed crankshaft sensor fault. I got the sensor changed and everything seemed fine. a couple of weeks ago i had the same problem again the crankshaft sensor was diagnosed, the garage again checked the sensor and asked me to try it, as soon as i started the car the rev counter needle started bouncing, i drove out of the garage, got about 1 mile and on accelerating the car gave 2 large jolts and it felt as if the engine was going to die on me and it felt as though the engine was struggling for fuel again the engine management light came back on. i returned to the garage and again they tested and got the same result, the technician suspected an ecu fault, i sent it off to be tested where it was found to be faulty and was rebuilt for me. (It was diagnosed as something to do with ignition coil). On putting it back on the car as soon as car was started the needle started bouncing again and the car felt as though it was still struggling struggling for fuel. Any ideas, suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

nissan almera - diagnostic tests - elekie&a/c doctor

Repeated flagging of the crankshaft sensor fault is indicative of a worn timing chain.Was the fault indicated actually the sensor iteslf or I suspect more likely to be a synchronization fault with the cam sensor.Not too sure what has been fixed on the ecu,as a coil fault would flag a misfire code?Wasted exercise in my opinion.hth

nissan almera - diagnostic tests - Dorset123

How often have you had the engine oil changed ?

If this isn't changed when it should be the chain will fail again.

nissan almera - diagnostic tests - Collos25

Three chains on the Almera I believe and a brute of a job to change them.

nissan almera - diagnostic tests - affleck

the engine oil is changed every 6 months as i don't do a lot of driving.

nissan almera - diagnostic tests - bathtub tom

Seems like the timing chain from the symptoms, despite your oil change regimen.

Before you throw more money at it, I'd suggest you remove the cam cover and check the tensioner protrusion.