VW Golf 92 (MKII) - Reevec
Afternoon,

I have seen some SIMILAR postings but no one seems to have a close enough problem that will allow me to use the associated solution.

Problem>
I have a J reg 1992 MKII Golf , 1.8 Driver, the car has 92,000 miles and is a shinning example of German engineering, but alas it has a problem, the car starts and runs like a dream, then every so often it starts to idle at 3000 rpm (absolutely no correlation in time, temp, distance etc). For no good reason it'll just suddenly start to over rev. The only clue I can provide is that it isn't an instant jump i.e. 800 rpm to 3000 rpm in a second, it takes about five seconds almost like it's a valve slowly opening.

The wax stat has been replaced twice in the last two years, the most recent was about four months ago and the problem just continued (started again about 45 minutes after leaving the garage).

My thoughts are that it could be a dodgy vacuum hose but due to my utter lack of mechanical knowledge the best I can do is to look at the pipes I believe could be responsible and ensure they don't have any obvious problems.

Does anyone have any other suggested fixes, or how/what I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance!!

Chris
VW Golf 92 (MKII) - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
On the back of these lovely pierburg carbs are a pair of electrically heated thermal valves one of which operates an additional fast idle when very very cold to help get the thing up and running. It only operates for a few seconds but a regular fault is a failed wire in the two pin connectors which could be allowing the valve to come in.Other causes could be a split in the rubber carb mount, or a leak in the servo hose although that usually shows up permanently and very audibly.
Andrew

Happiness is a T70 at full chat!