L D V - home made vin plates - datsun-laurel

I run a year 2000 ldv... i want to downrate it to 3500 kg..and i need a new vin plate. what i want to know, is can i make one myself from some aluminium... and stamp it ? my friend used a piece of coke tin years ago, and apparently this was legal ?

L D V - home made vin plates - RT

It'll need it's registration details changing at DVLA as well.

You can buy VIN plates reading for stamping online.

No idea if it's legal - pretty stupid if it is!

L D V - home made vin plates - jc2

Replacement VIN plates are available so that crashed cars can be rebuilt-however nefarious uses also come to mind!

L D V - home made vin plates - The-Mechanic

You need to inform VOSA and fill in the VTG10 form first. You cannot just make up a VIN plate and alter the weight limit on it, you'll only open a huge can of worms for yourself.

You'll need to get the suspension altered to limit the ability to carry the original plated weight, and have a detailed report from a recognised body to point out what work has been carried out. Then VOSA will want to carry out an inspection and depending on the results, a new VIN plate will be issued to the vehicle from VOSA and the DVLA informed.

Doing it the way you suggest will leave you open to prosecution from either VOSA or the police so do it right or not at all.

Edited by The-Mechanic on 18/12/2013 at 07:38