OK for THEM! - Early Christmas presents - oldroverboy.

In The news.......

Four police officers have been sacked for their alleged part in a car-buying scam.

Four police officers had all placed orders for vehicles to be used by their covert police unit, knowing they could later buy them at a heavily discounted price. The police officers - a Detective Chief Inspector, a Detective Inspector, a Detective Sergeant and a Detective Constable - have all been sacked as a result of being part of the scam.

. The unmarked police cars were regularly changed to avoid recognition, later to be sold to the public with huge discounts. But it is believed the officers ordered specific cars for police work, and then bought them for themselves later.

The force was alerted of the issue in October 2012, and the Independent Police Complaints Commission went on to investigate the allegations. The four shamed police officers were all found guilty of gross misconduct by a panel last week, and have now been sacked.

A police spokeswoman said: “The impact of their actions has brought discredit to the force.” There are also some members of the force which haven’t agreed with the court rulings.

The Police Federation chairman, said the force are “extremely disappointed with the result.” She added: “We believe there are lessons to be learnt by the constabulary and we will be working with them to ensure future failings are avoided. The officers are considering whether an appeal is appropriate.

OK for THEM! - Early Christmas presents - oldroverboy.

Posted entirely Tongue in Cheek, by the way.

OK for THEM! - Early Christmas presents - mss1tw

I have to say as long as they paid the going rate/whatever Joe Public would pay I really don't care!

OK for THEM! - Early Christmas presents - 72 dudes

I have to say as long as they paid the going rate/whatever Joe Public would pay I really don't care!

Exactly, there's a lot more worth worrying about going on the country at the moment,

IMO no worse than an 11% pay rise for MPs, and certainly wouldn't warrant gross misconduct, unless there was something specific to this practice in their terms and conditions of employment.

OK for THEM! - Early Christmas presents - jamie745

The 11% payrise for MPs is funny. In response to the public outrage at MPs setting their own renumeration, they set up an independent body after the expenses scandal.

Said independent body wants to give them a payrise, now the public want MPs to set their own pay again. Or do they? Well, yeah but, no, but, yeah.

OK for THEM! - Early Christmas presents - Collos25

As far as the police officers are concerned it shows some inititive something most mps lack.

OK for THEM! - Early Christmas presents - Wackyracer

It isn't much different to how some firms used to allow employees to choose their company cars and to purchase them when the company replaced them again.

OK for THEM! - Early Christmas presents - Andrew-T

Quite agree. Sounds like normal practice in the car-buying world, if your position gives you that advantage.

OK for THEM! - Early Christmas presents - csgmart

Quite agree. Sounds like normal practice in the car-buying world, if your position gives you that advantage.

That would be ok if the cars were financed with private money. As they are classified as public servants the cash used to buy the cars in the first place came from your pocket and mine - that's a critical difference in my book.

OK for THEM! - Early Christmas presents - jamie745

public servants the cash used to buy the cars in the first place came from your pocket and mine - that's a critical difference in my book.

Maybe, but if you wanted to you could claim all of everybodies money comes from the State, as the State is in charge of the supply.

At the end of the day it's their salary, would you like a full household budget of every publically employed person in the country?

OK for THEM! - Early Christmas presents - csgmart

Maybe, but if you wanted to you could claim all of everybodies money comes from the State, as the State is in charge of the supply.

I could claim that, but I wouldn't.

I'm not overly bothered by what they are alleged to have done.

OK for THEM! - Early Christmas presents - mss1tw

Take a bow, quantitive easing. I'm far more concerned with low interest rates, the national debt, and the buying and selling of houses being the basis of the UK economy.

A few cheap motors obtained in a perfectly legal way, not fussed.

OK for THEM! - Early Christmas presents - Smileyman

I'm more concerned against whom the MP's have had their pay increase benchmarked

OK for THEM! - Early Christmas presents - John F

I'm more concerned against whom the MP's have had their pay increase benchmarked

Hopefully not just salaried employee's of the state, e.g. teacher's, doctor's, police etc.

I trust that there has been access to the income and gains of those who have chosen to embark upon a business career as well as those who chose to become and remain public servants. I presume it is the more successful company shareholders who are responsible for the puzzling surfeit of low mileage secondhand cars selling for six figure sums in the pages of national newspapers. Why do they get tired of them so quickly?

OK for THEM! - Early Christmas presents - gordonbennet

I see nothing inherently worng with this unless the vehicles specified were completely unsuited to the police work they would be put to.

They were however naive, even someone living alone on an island off the coast of Cambodia can't fail to have seen that this country is consuming itself like some parasite infested organism going through its death throes.

Modern coppers spend much of their time covering their own backsides against their own sides spying and witchunts (ask any good one), let alone the livelihood threatening repercussions of a vengeful punter accusing them of wrongdoing, they should have known better than to risk anything like this no matter how innocent it may have been.

I wonder who's watching the modern Britain Stazi like watchers?

OK for THEM! - Early Christmas presents - Bromptonaut

I see nothing inherently worng with this unless the vehicles specified were completely unsuited to the police work they would be put to.

My reading is that they were far less than optimally suited to job in that they were over specc'd and considerably more costly than they should have been. There must also be doubt as to whether the disposal process was done transparently and in a way that got the best price for the force.

That end of the transaction is, IMO, the more serious offence.

As a recent but now ex public servant I think they got what they deserved.

Not read full report but IPSA seem to have benchmarked but also used 'citizen juries', provided with a clear explanation of an MP's real duties, to arrive at a figure.

The 11% payrise for MPs is funny. In response to the public outrage at MPs setting their own renumeration, they set up an independent body after the expenses scandal.

Said independent body wants to give them a payrise, now the public want MPs to set their own pay again. Or do they? Well, yeah but, no, but, yeah.

An excellent summary Jamie. But unfortunately it's UK politics in microcosm - what happened to the idea that ministers explain stuff?