Jaguar S-Type - Blue smoke - rashers50
Hi
I bought an S type Jaguar two weeks ago, the first frosty morning we had I started the engine and pressed the three buttons to clear front and rear screens,the blower started up inside and the screens cleared, I had left the engine running for about five minute's then blue smoke started blowing down from the front right hand side of the engine (as you look at it) , it had a strong smell like plastic or rubber burning. I turned the engine off and had a look and it seemed to be blowing down from which looked like a vent hole on the right hand side behind the front valence. Started the car again and it seemed to have stopped, tried it today with and pressed the same buttons and it did it again but not so much blue smoke this time.
Please can anyone shed any light on this.
Rasher
Jaguar S-Type - Blue smoke - daveyjp
Which engine type?
Jaguar S-Type - Blue smoke - pd

Is it a diesel? In which case it is probably the auxillary under bonnet heater which is a small diesel powered unit designed to boost the heat on a cold morning.

It comes on under 5 degress when the aircon is switched to on.

It is quite normal, the vent you speak of is an actual mini exhaust.

Edited by pd on 13/12/2013 at 09:26

Jaguar S-Type - Blue smoke - Avant

Moved to Technical.

It is a diesel , my worry was the smell of the smoke. Thanks for your help I shall keep my eye on it
Hi pd
You replyed to my smoking jag back in December you said it could be the auxiliary under bonnet heater ,
It still does it and it seems to be every time the aircon comes on it smokes and more so below 5 degrees .
You did say it's quite normal but the car really stinks of smoke I was wondering if you knew anymore about this problem and is there anything I can do to sort it.
Jaguar S-Type - Blue smoke - Steve Waxman

For the future sir, the problem you are having is with the Diesel auxillary heater. Its not a fault, but you will need to get the ECU Unit re-programmed. what this does will reduce the amount of fuel sent to the Pre-Heater. Most Auto Technicians will do this.

£55.00... but a whole lot cheaper than going to Jag.

Hope this helps

SW

Jaguar S-Type - Blue smoke - bluezzr1100

Could the drive belt be slipping on the air con compressor-it will turn freely until the clutch pulls in- is the belt loose or damaged? Just a thought