Golf Mk3 - engine revs up by itself - CM
Something strange happened with our 1.6GL. SMWBO was driving and I heard the engine revving up (prob to about 3.5k) and then returning to normal. This happened repeatedly when in neutral as well as when in gear at a constant interval ie revved up for a second or two every second or two.

Turned the engine off and started again and seemed to idle quite normally.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be as the car is going for a service shortly and I would like to give some technical info.

Ta.
Golf Mk3 - enigne revs up by itself - Adam Going (Tune-Up)
Need more information. Year of vehicle and engine code (will be a 2 or 3 letter/digit code - for example "2E", "GU", or "AAU").

Adam
Golf Mk3 - enigne revs up by itself - CM
Dont know engine code but can find out. Where do I find this?

Year is R-98.
Golf Mk3 - enigne revs up by itself - the conductor
your car is probobly a 100bhp 1.6 if it is a late mk3
i would say its probobly a dirty idle valve or dodgy throttle pot. engine code is on sticker on cambelt cover or in service book.
1.6 is in fact 75bhp.

Thanks for the other info.
Now I have just driven my wife's car again and find it's behaviour very strange.

Normal tick over is about 800 rpm

When I started up yesterday, it started revving at 1200rpm and then it slowly rose to 2500rpm.

I drive off and it feels very jittery, like fuel isn't getting through, and when I hit 4k rpm a big jerk as very little power coming from engine.

I pull over to the side and turn off and start up again and there are no further problems!

The car has just been serviced at a main dealer (who I forgot to tell about this prob), and it seems to be worse than before. also the clock starts resetting itself to 00:00 every now and then.

Can anyone shed any light on this problem? Could it be a sticking throttle (if it was why would it rev up and then die off over and over again)? I would love to tell the main dealer that they should have spotted this as they charged a fortune as well as trying to sell me £1k worth of service that was not required!
Golf Mk3 - enigne revs up by itself - paul swindon
I remember my Mk II did the same, the cable to the carb was caught and twisted under the bulkhead/bonnet. Frightened the life out of me when it first happened.
Paul
{Wrote a long reply to this and posted but didn't appear as obviously the thread I replied to was deleted [Thanks Mark (-: ]}

Problem sorted as I bit the bullet and went back to the main dealer. They plugged in their diagnotic box and it appears that the engine had lost the codes for correct idling speed.

Took 5 mins to do and was FOC. I asked them why this was not picked up on when it was in for a service and showed them the ticked box where they said that a diagnostic check had been carried out. They said that this problem probably occured post service but when I pointed out that this had happened pre-service (and I had forgotten to tell them) they were more evasive.

What do you pay for in a service? Is it worth writing to the VW dealer and pointing this out to them or would it be a waste of time?
Golf Mk3 - enigne revs up by itself - Mark (RLBS)
>>{Wrote a long reply to this and posted but didn't appear as obviously the thread I replied to was deleted [Thanks Mark (-: ]}

Not me, guv.

However, if a note fails to post for any reason, then using the back button should get you back to it allowing a copy and paste. I would not recommend that a long note should be typed in without either copying it to a buffer or saving it in another application -notepad or whatever.
It said that it didn't recognize the message ID and when I went back to find it it had disappeared and moved from page 1 to page 2.

Sorry for the accusation !! It seems that there is a phantom moderator about!!
Golf Mk3 - enigne revs up by itself - Dynamic Dave
CM, I deleted Big Vern\'s earlier TIC message. If you had clicked on that particular message to reply to, then that would explain the error message you were given, as your composed message had nowhere to attach itself to once I had deleted Big Vern\'s. Sorry. DD.

It seems that there is a phantom moderator about!!

Remember there are 2 moderators now, so Mark isn\'t always nesessarily the only one to blame.
Golf Mk3 - enigne revs up by itself - del_trotter
CM - 'the conductor' is correct - your Golf is DEFINATELY 100bhp if it is what you say it is (and hasn't had an engine transplant!). ALL MK3 1.6GL's are 100bhp.

I have one myself ('97P) and they are quite rare as I had to search long and hard to find one!... sorry I can't help you with ur prob though