BMW 325i Touring - Bike Racks - BMW Touring - BMW Touring

I've a '58 plate BMW 325i Touring and am not able to find a bike rack that I can fix to the rear tailgate. Every bike rack search omits this model. I'm guessing that the non metal spoiler atop the tailgate doesn't support the weight?

The only solution seems to be having a tow bar fitted at a cost of £500 or so.

Does anyone know whether there is a rack that will fit the car ?

Thanks

BMW 325i Touring - Bike Racks - BMW Touring - Bromptonaut

I'd avoid tailgate racks like the plague. Too many chances of damaging car, bikes or both.

Towbar is possibility but as you note it'll cost you on a Beemer (or anything else). Also consider the noseweight limit for towing. If it's low a family set of mountan bikes might be marginal. A lot of tow bar jobbies still seem to leave bikes wobbling and rubbing agains each other as well, plus you cannot get to the boot.

My suggestion is to put them on the roof. A pair of transverse bars and a set of mid range Thule bike racks, the sort that clamp the bike's downtub, will be less than a BMW approved towbar. If you're a cheapskate Halfords value racks are £20 or so each. Glitch may be a low weight limit for roof. Four 12kg bikes plus the racks etc won't leave much change form 60kg.

There's a knack to lifting the bike on to the roof and you need to set the rack clamp and open it first. Much, much easier though than faffing about with a cat's cradle of straps on a tailgate fit.

And you can still get in the boot.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 17/11/2013 at 18:09

BMW 325i Touring - Bike Racks - BMW Touring - Collos25

I'd avoid tailgate racks like the plague. Too many chances of damaging car, bikes or both.

Towbar is possibility but as you note it'll cost you on a Beemer (or anything else). Also consider the noseweight limit for towing. If it's low a family set of mountan bikes might be marginal. A lot of tow bar jobbies still seem to leave bikes wobbling and rubbing agains each other as well, plus you cannot get to the boot.

My suggestion is to put them on the roof. A pair of transverse bars and a set of mid range Thule bike racks, the sort that clamp the bike's downtub, will be less than a BMW approved towbar. If you're a cheapskate Halfords value racks are £20 or so each. Glitch may be a low weight limit for roof. Four 12kg bikes plus the racks etc won't leave much change form 60kg.

There's a knack to lifting the bike on to the roof and you need to set the rack clamp and open it first. Much, much easier though than faffing about with a cat's cradle of straps on a tailgate fit.

And you can still get in the boot.

I have used a towbar rack for many years and along with 99.9% of users never had a problem and for the OP where did you get the figure of 500ukp from

BMW 325i Touring - Bike Racks - BMW Touring - Bromptonaut

I have used a towbar rack for many years and along with 99.9% of users never had a problem

In that case the entire 0.1% outwith your knowledge are acquaintances of mine!!

BMW 325i Touring - Bike Racks - BMW Touring - Cyd

I'd agree with Brom, put them on the roof. Hanging 60+Kg off the back end of any car (possibly in addition to weight in the boot) seriously affects the cars stability by making it tail heavy and nose light. The weight is further rearward than would be the case with a tow bar and trailer, and most cars would have a max ball weight of only about 40 anyway. Not to mention you'd probably still need a light board.

BMW 325i Touring - Bike Racks - BMW Touring - DrippingSump

I guess this proves the point cars and bicycles really don't mix well.

BMW 325i Touring - Bike Racks - BMW Touring - alan1302

I guess this proves the point cars and bicycles really don't mix well.

Erm..no, just shows to stick them on the roof!

BMW 325i Touring - Bike Racks - BMW Touring - DrippingSump

alan1302,

You are absolutely correct. I must try harder and promise not to make any more jokes about where to stick a bicycle.