Citroen Xsara Picasso - Rear shock absorbers - replace them? - albapa

Hi all,

I have noticed that the rubber dust cover on both of the rear shock absorbers are torn. Otherwise the shock absorbers seem fine - the car passed MOT and as far as I can tell, they work. I am wondering if I should replace them because of the damaged dust cover.

In addition, there are two so-called "suspension rebound blocks" which also look quite worn, the rubber is cracked. These are quite cheap - am I right that these should also be replaced?

Many thanks in advance.

Albert

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Rear shock absorbers - replace them? - Peter.N.

My philosophy is 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. If it drives OK I wouldn't worry about it especially if it passed the MOT. Some necessary repairs will come soon enough.

Thanks for your reply.

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Rear shock absorbers - replace them? - DrippingSump

The philosophy of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" does have merit and by association it therefore stands "if it is broke, go fix it".

So go fix the broken things that are mentioned.

Regards

Thanks for your reply, too. I figured that even if the shock absorbers are not broken right now, they'll be soon, as the dust cover must be there for a reason. I guess I have to insert this task into the pipeline.

Albert

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Rear shock absorbers - replace them? - Andrew-T

My philosophy is 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. If it drives OK I wouldn't worry about it especially if it passed the MOT. Some necessary repairs will come soon enough.

Absolutely. Shocks are not likely to fail suddenly, so change them when the car's damping behaviour makes it advisable. Otherwise keep driving.

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Rear shock absorbers - replace them? - Cyd

How does the car behave on the road? Particularly with the rear loaded with passengers and luggage. Is it in any way "bouncy"?

Thing is, that to replace the dust covers, won't it be necessary to remove the shocks from the car? If you're going to go to that trouble, you might as well replace the shocks as labour will [probably] be the largest part of the cost.

If the car is behaving itself under load and the shocks are not leaking, then leave alone for now, get a few more miles out of them and then change them in a year or so. Without effective dust covers they may deteriorate quicker than usual.

If you feel that the performance has dropped off at any stage, then change them as worn shocks can affect the cars stability under braking (especially hard braking, eg an emergency, which would be when you need all the stability you can get). You don't give the total mileage, but I would suggest changing all four shocks as a set to maintain maximum control and stability should you ever need it.

Thanks for your reply.

How does the car behave on the road? Particularly with the rear loaded with passengers and luggage. Is it in any way "bouncy"?

No, the car feels fine to me, and I suppose the damping efficiency must have been checked at the MOT so they should be about fine

Thing is, that to replace the dust covers, won't it be necessary to remove the shocks from the car? If you're going to go to that trouble, you might as well replace the shocks as labour will [probably] be the largest part of the cost.

Indeed. Also, as far as I can tell, the dust covers are not available separately and Haynes suggests replacing the whole assembly. I have the parts anyway (there was a good deal on ebay for original shocks etc.).

If the car is behaving itself under load and the shocks are not leaking, then leave alone for now, get a few more miles out of them and then change them in a year or so. Without effective dust covers they may deteriorate quicker than usual.

Yes, this is why I asked this question here - I have no way of telling how quick they'll deteriorate and, as you said, I don't want to be in the situation that I realise they have already failed, when I need them most!

If you feel that the performance has dropped off at any stage, then change them as worn shocks can affect the cars stability under braking (especially hard braking, eg an emergency, which would be when you need all the stability you can get). You don't give the total mileage, but I would suggest changing all four shocks as a set to maintain maximum control and stability should you ever need it.

The car has done almost 70000 miles - no idea if either of the previous owners had any of the shocks replaced, but they look original.

Thanks again
Albert

Edited by albapa on 11/11/2013 at 12:18

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Rear shock absorbers - replace them? - Cyd

No, the car feels fine to me, and I suppose the damping efficiency must have been checked at the MOT so they should be about fine

The car has done almost 70000 miles - no idea if either of the previous owners had any of the shocks replaced, but they look original.

Thanks again
Albert

Err, no!

All an MoT tester can do is to "bump test" the shocks using his body weight. This in no way could ever be considered an effective test of a shocks performance. By the time shocks are bad enough to fail this test they will have been under performing for 000's of miles.

70k? Probably still original and may well have a fair bit of life left yet. If it were me I'd fit those new ones and kep the old ones for the future in case they're ever needed again.

Chassis friends of mine once indicated that 80 -100k is fair life. Obviously depends on the service life they've seen.

Wow, I had believed there was some kind of instrumental test of the damping but just looked it up and, of course, you're right. I am shocked, forgive the pun.

Anyway, now I am convinced so I am going to replace them at a suitable time.

Thanks for all the input from everyone who replied here.

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Rear shock absorbers - replace them? - Andrew-T

Wow, I had believed there was some kind of instrumental test of the damping but just looked it up and, of course, you're right. I am shocked, forgive the pun.

Anyway, now I am convinced so I am going to replace them at a suitable time.

Your choice - you may notice an improvement, you may not. Lots of dampers go on working OK for years, unless they start to leak or have suffered harsh treatment. In 50 years of car ownership (some of them quite old) I can only remember one vehicle which needed new shocks.