All especially including silver grey Mondeo's - Teeny space saver wheels well really just discs - Ethan Edwards

How long and how far can you drive with one of those stupid space saver wheels, before it constitutes a danger to other motorists.

For the last two weeks a clearly liveried corporate Mondeo (a computer firm summat to do with baby oak tree seeds) has to my certain knowledge been driving around with a rear drivers wheel using the tiny space saver disk. Saw him again this morning

I've seen him coming into Colchester and driving out on the A12. Same wheel high speeds in the rain etc.

Surely this is illegal? What kind of message does it give to prospective clients? We're cheap slapdash and useless?

If your reading this mate put your fag out - and go buy a tyre before you kill yourself or someone else.

All especially including silver grey Mondeo's - Teeny space saver wheels well really just discs - daveyjp
Space savers are designed to get you to the tyre fitter.

If a Police officer were ever concerned with such things you can be pulled for it, but chances are he will drive on it until it blows out and then the police could well be dealing with a fatal.
All especially including silver grey Mondeo's - Teeny space saver wheels well really just discs - skidpan

They have a max speed marked on the wheel, usually 55 mph but when I have fitted one briefly to my car it looked like it would fall over at walking pace.

With regards to getting stopped by the plod how would they proove how long you had been driving on it, it would have to be spped they booked you for.

Having said that they are better than a can of gooo but should be used correctly. It tells you in the manual what to do but who reads the manual, looking on this and other sites no one except me.

All especially including silver grey Mondeo's - Teeny space saver wheels well really just discs - Bromptonaut

My Berlingo has alloys but the steel spare, albeit full size and shod with same tyre as mains is placarded as 50mph only.

All especially including silver grey Mondeo's - Teeny space saver wheels well really just discs - Avant

Likewise my Octavia: with the original wheels and tyres it was rightly limited to 50 mph: but my steel wheels and all-weather tyres are exactly the same size (205/55/16) so that is an added bonus to using them.

All especially including silver grey Mondeo's - Teeny space saver wheels well really just discs - bathtub tom

There's a Merc round the corner from me that's had a space-saver fitted for weeks. One of its front tyres is looking under inflated. I'm watching it with interest!

All especially including silver grey Mondeo's - Teeny space saver wheels well really just discs - brum

Likewise my Octavia: with the original wheels and tyres it was rightly limited to 50 mph: but my steel wheels and all-weather tyres are exactly the same size (205/55/16) so that is an added bonus to using them.

AFAIK the reason that full size steel spares which are marked as speed limited is usually because the steel rim has a different offset to the alloy.

All especially including silver grey Mondeo's - Teeny space saver wheels well really just discs - Cyd

How long and how far can you drive with ....space saver wheels, before it constitutes a danger to other motorists.

........ Same wheel high speeds in the rain etc.

It isn't the distance the car is driven that constitutes a danger, but the manner in which the car is driven without due regard for the reduced capabilities of the spare (DWDC&A).

Why don't you call the company concerned and point out the error of their [employees] ways?

All especially including silver grey Mondeo's - Teeny space saver wheels well really just discs - Wackyracer

The last Ford space saver I looked at had very little tread depth even though the tyre was new.

All especially including silver grey Mondeo's - Teeny space saver wheels well really just discs - Ethan Edwards

He's recorded on my in car video. If i see him again still using the same thing then I will definitely call them. In any event I feel better having vented!