VW Golf GT TDI 150 mk7 - Rusting brake disc hubs - mrcebula

I purchased my Golf new 6 months ago and after 9000 miles and weekly cleaning, all 4 disc brake hubs are showing extensive and unsightly rust/corrosion. Not what I expected from a shiny new VW.

Local dealer and VW UK both acknowledge this issue but apparently rectification not covered under warranty or as goodwiil gesture. The issue is considered a cosmetic defect only.

Are rusty disc hubs a problem with new VW cars and do they always take this stance?

Thoughts appreciated.

VW Golf GT TDI 150 mk7 - Rusting brake disc hubs - gordonbennet

Its a problem with nearly all new cars, not just VW's, they don't pay the extra that decently coated parts would cost.

Best answer, jack the car up remove the wheels, wire brush the affected areas and paint with black hammerite, i do exactly that (and the calipers) because i dislike seeing parts as rusty as an old horseshoe inside the wheels.

Not many people seem as bothered as you, or i.

VW Golf GT TDI 150 mk7 - Rusting brake disc hubs - galileo

GB, you are a better man than I am, to put in effort to keep calipers shiny. I just went and checked my 4 year old i30, the disc hubs are smooth black painted and calipers not visibly rusty, possibly Parkerised or otherwise rust-proofed. ( Much cheaper than a Golf, and still under warranty till next June) ,

VW Golf GT TDI 150 mk7 - Rusting brake disc hubs - gordonbennet

4 year old i30, the disc hubs are smooth black painted and calipers not visibly rusty, possibly Parkerised or otherwise rust-proofed.

Thats really very good, those little extras cost money, i'm impressed but then i was when Ceed first arrived too and i had a good poke nose about underneath whilst delivering them, very well put together, all fuel and brake lines running togther under the car in a well designed tough plastic trunking, small thing overall but that and a well protected underbody showed that durabilty was designed in.

I like your model i30, not impressed with the looks of the latest incarnation, but you can't argue with attention to detail like that.

More power to makers like this who make good cars and stand by their product.

PS don't know about better man, more like OCD possibly but so what too old to change now..;)

Edited by gordonbennet on 07/10/2013 at 20:33

VW Golf GT TDI 150 mk7 - Rusting brake disc hubs - bazza

Are you talking about the friction surfaces or the hubs themselves? If you live near the sea or don't use the car much, you will see rust very quickly on the surfaces which are mild steel, this is normal and all cars are the same. It might be more visible depending on the type of alloy wheel fitted. If it is just affecting the hubs, you may be able to improve the appearance by taking a wheel off and applying a wire brush or steel wool. But don't whatever you do spray lubricant or anything like that for obvious reasons! I wouldn't really expect VAG to help on this one to be honest.

VW Golf GT TDI 150 mk7 - Rusting brake disc hubs - The-Mechanic

Sounds about right that does.

Sorry to sound a bit blunt, but any car will get surface corrosion on the hub of the brake discs in a very short time. They are subjected to extremes of heat and moisture all the time and will unfortunately start to corrode. As long as the braking surfaces are not pitted with corrosion there is nothing VW will do about it as it is not a safety issue, but as they have stated, a cosmetic one.

Also, some wheel cleaning agents can speed up surface corrosion as they are usually acid based and can react with the relatively untreated metal of the discs. Also, lack of use is a factor. If the car is parked for even a couple of days in damp conditions, surface rust will start to form.

I worked at a Toyota main agents a few years ago, and their stance on surface corrosion on the disc hubs was to sand off and aerosol paint them in either silver or black to improve the appearance, but never did they replace the discs.

Edited by The-Mechanic on 07/10/2013 at 19:59

VW Golf GT TDI 150 mk7 - Rusting brake disc hubs - mrcebula

Understand not a safety issue so no VW warranty and discs are fine. Not noticed it on two previous BMW's from new. Hoped dealer would clean and paint as gesture of goodwill. Only cosmetic but very noticable on the Golf with standard 17" alloys. Thanks for your comments, appreciated.

VW Golf GT TDI 150 mk7 - Rusting brake disc hubs - brum

The problem is your weekly cleaning routine.

Hubs/discs are steel and get rusty quickly when theres lots of water around.

Dont clean them so often, use your brakes harder and more often to cover everything in brake dust and your rust wont be visible. ;)

VW Golf GT TDI 150 mk7 - Rusting brake disc hubs - Pete Mansell

Exposed brake parts are never attractive in my opinion, with or without rust. I just wonder why 95% of the population are obsesses with having allloy wheels, as otherwise they would be hidden.

Edited by Pete Mansell on 07/10/2013 at 21:06

VW Golf GT TDI 150 mk7 - Rusting brake disc hubs - idle_chatterer

I just checked my 1 year old Golf VI which has done 5000miles in salt-free Australia and to my horror it has a patina of rust on its disc hubs too (not the braking surfaces of course), obviously I am horrified - they even failed to notice this at the first service and haven't issued a recall ! The callipers are completely unblemished though, quite a relief I can tell you.

Then I remembered, my previous Audis (there's VAG quality for you), BMWs, Mercs, Fords and Hondas all had exactly the same. You just can't get quality these days, or perhaps ever.... Now, must remember to complain that my VW isn't bird-poo proof either (sic).

Edited by idle_chatterer on 08/10/2013 at 07:55

VW Golf GT TDI 150 mk7 - Rusting brake disc hubs - Andrew-T

Exposed brake parts are never attractive in my opinion, with or without rust. I just wonder why 95% of the population are obsessed with having alloy wheels, as otherwise they would be hidden.

I tend to agree, but on the other hand if things are hidden, so are any incipient problems, unless one takes the wheels off to check. Steel wheels have advantages, but they can also get horribly rusty after only a few years.

VW Golf GT TDI 150 mk7 - Rusting brake disc hubs - Cyd

I would say that what you are seeing is 'normal'. If other manufacturers have treated this area better then that is a 'bonus' for those owners. Each manufacturer will make its own decision on where it spends its money on its own cars.

When I recently changed the discs on my Saab, I painted the hub with Foliatec Brake Caliper paint. I used the Foliatec (which I purchased from Demon Tweeks on their eBay shop) because it is a proper 2 pack paint, rather than being one of the cheaper variety which you simply let dry. Most of the ones which you paint on and let dry cannot really stand the heat and will flake and deteriorate quite quickly.

Another trick for the outer edges of discs, is to allow a surface layer of rust to build up and then treat with Hammerite Kurust. this turns the surface blue and "locks in" the corrosion. They'll last quite a long time like this. You do need a reasonable amount of surface rust before doing this though, so as to get a good solid surface treatment out of it.

Also avoid using wheel cleaners, most are acidic and attack the paint on the wheels and cause corrosion to unprotected parts like the discs. Soapy water and elbow grease is the best formula. Or change pads to EBC Greenstuff.

Frankly, if you're bothered by a little surface rust on your discs after 6 months, how are you going to feel when the calipers are corroded and ugly in 2 years?

VW Golf GT TDI 150 mk7 - Rusting brake disc hubs - brum

Why doesnt the OP just whip the wheels off, quick tickle with some wire wool, wash down with brake cleaner and then apply protective coat of his choosing. Paint it a garish colour to give it full chav credibility even....