Nissan Pathfinder - Clutch replacement problem - pathfinder77
The clutch on my car went in Nov. 2012, and was replaced by my usual garage,
in June of 2013 after some 3K miles it went again and was duly replaced by the same garage. At the time the garage said they would return the part to the manufacturer via their supplier as it was under warranty. After many phone calls by myself to the garage, the garage to the supplier and the supplier to the manufacturer, the manufacturer finally agreed that the part was faulty and that they would refund the cost £150.00 plus vat. However no mention was made of the labour £450.00 inc. vat. On ringing the Citizens Advice office I was told that
I should not have paid for the work that was done!
This raises 3 major questions for me.

1. If I had not paid the garage, could they have kept my car?

2. Why is the manufacturer not libel for the extra labour costs?

3. Whose side is the law on for heavens sake? I regret not having trained to be a lawyer just so I could have the facts available and earn major money sorting out such confusing and a$#e about face laws.

Nissan Pathfinder - Clutch replacement problem - gordonbennet

£450 labour is very cheap for doing one of these, as is the £150 for the clutch for such a vehicle, presumably that was only the driven plate or was it a cheap pattern part..which might explain why it lasted 5 minutes.

Did your garage supply and fit the part?, if so (and bear in mind i have no idea of legalities) then i would have expected the garage to put the whole job right incl labour, if you supplied the part as some people insist on doing to save a couple of quid then you take the labour risk if it goes wrong.

Presumably the vehicle did not need a new DMF, for i expect a new clutch incl DMF supplied and fitted by the Nissan dealer with proper parts would have seen little if any change from £2.5k.

My own impression, which might well be wrong is that a cheap price was paid and a cheap job with cheap parts was the result.

Edited by gordonbennet on 07/10/2013 at 13:36

Nissan Pathfinder - Clutch replacement problem - Bromptonaut

The garage, as supplier, liable to you. It's then up to him to recover his losses, in this case the labour for fitting the second clutch, from supplier/manufacturer. The law is on your side - Sales of Goods Act etc.

Did you not raise the issue of labour costs with garage when collecting the car in June? They may well have refused to release car as, unbeleivably, some people CAN burn a clutch out in three months.

In circs I'd be going to garage now and having a conversation on expectation that now the part was proven faulty you wanted labour refunding. I'd expect them to pay up and seek to recover up the supply chain.

Thougt I was going to have a similar issue last year after clutch on my Berlingo was replaced. The new one had a squeak when engaged. Garage were prepapred to replace but in end we agreed to see how it went and after 1500m it settled down. If I'd pushed point they'd have replaced it foc but I do have goodwill of being a customer of 15yrs standing.

EDIT - Cross posted with GB who knows more about Pathfinders than I do and makes valid points about the cost. Was close to £700 S+F with proper part on the 'lingo.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 07/10/2013 at 13:46

Nissan Pathfinder - Clutch replacement problem - oldroverboy.

Just a little thoght, agreeing with the 2 earlier replies, Check these things first, then afterwards less problem, warranty time and conditions on the invoice..

Surely some of these cars are now not economic to repair using Original equipment parts and labour. But the cost of service replacement parts enters precisely what percentage of our heads when we buy?

For the OP, well done, you got something back..

Edited by oldroverboy. on 08/10/2013 at 07:06