Volkwagen Golf - Car with undisclosed damage - Sephiroth100

I have a VW Golf that I bought from Motorpoint in 2008 - I was the first registered keeper.

When I picked up the car everything seemed fine on first inspection. At some point later I discovered a scratch running along the bottom of the passenger side door. Thinking this was a flying stone, I left it at that.

Fast foward 4 years. I had a friend who was a car detailer machine polish the car. He informed me that the scratch could not be buffed out because it had been repaired and relaquered at some point. 6 months later I had a local valet service come and detail the car. He also pointed out the repair.

I'm sure the repair couldn't be seen at the time of insepction yet both state that the scratch had been laquered over and could only be restored by repainting the door.

Despite this being 5 years on, the car is still in fantastic condition (9,000 miles on the clock), except for the scratch. Should Motorpoint have pointed this out at the point of sale and is there any possibility of a viable complaint?

Volkwagen Golf - Car with undisclosed damage - skidpan

Motorpoint do not sell cars where the buyer is the "First registered Keeper". All their cars are either pre-registered for tax purposes, bought one myself or it was a used car. It is the buyers responsibilty to check the car and if not happy either walk away or get seller to sort. Ours had a small dent on the drivers door, pointed it out and they got it sorted for me to collect a few days later.

5 years later a scratch you noticed soon after purchase is still there, not going to get better is it. The fact it has not rusted means it must have been sorted pretty well.

If you want a perfect car next time buy a new one form a franchised dealer but still go over it with a magnifying glass because even new cars can have defects.

As far as complaining to Motorpoint 5 years after buying it how are you going to prove it was there when you bought it.

Edited by skidpan on 03/09/2013 at 14:43

I agree that I'm unlikely to get a positive response, but I do think it rather unethical that they might have hid the scratch for the purpose of the inspection.

Volkwagen Golf - Car with undisclosed damage - MrDanno

You have no chance of getting anywhere with this. Simply because it is soo long since you bought the car.

You was sold the car after it was repaired, You therefore accepted it in this condition. If you noticed it soon after purchase, Then that is when you should have spoken to the dealer about it

You are correct in that I saw it soon after, but I didn't have the knowledge to understand that the scratch was acually embedded beneath the laquer.

Volkwagen Golf - Car with undisclosed damage - tony g
Motorpoint or any other dealer are not responsible for your lack of know how .

To complain to a dealer about something so minor after 5 years is nonsense .

If its such an issue pay a professional body shop to repair the fault.
Volkwagen Golf - Car with undisclosed damage - Simon

I can hardly believe that I am reading this but...

The scratch must have been there when you first inspected the car. If it had been damaged between you buying it and taking delivery of it, they would have repaired the scratch, not lacquered over it and high lighted it surely. You should have complained at the time, not this many years later.

Volkwagen Golf - Car with undisclosed damage - thunderbird

Sephiroth100 is clearly a Troll when he post 2 absolutely laughable posts within minutes.

He should get a life.

As should we responding to such nonsense.