Honda Civic 1.8 VTI - Possible Causes of Rear Brake Disc Corrosion? - HondaManUK

My car last year failed the mot because there was corrosion on the rear brake discs causing a band around the disc. The brake pads were replaced previously but as it failed the mot they were replaced again by the garage but again there is still a band around the disc. So if I take it back again they will fail it again. It seems they didn't do a proper job. I was told by an ex-mechanic I should file the pads down and copper slip them so they fit loosely in the calipers. I should also sand down the disc so it can bed in easily? What else could be causing the trouble? Thanks for your help.

Edited by HondaManUK on 28/08/2013 at 17:22

Honda Civic 1.8 VTI - Possible Causes of Rear Brake Disc Corrosion? - madf

Lack of use.

Honda Civic 1.8 VTI - Possible Causes of Rear Brake Disc Corrosion? - gordonbennet

Yes, as Madf.

Also winter salt, especially if you park the car up for several days with a hefty coating of salt cooking every unpainted surface in sight, if you're going to park the car up for several daysor longer it makes sense to hose the underside and especially the brakes off before doing so.