Daughter/car - Martin Devon
Dear All, Went through some of this a few months ago, but now the time has arrived, oh! Dear. Daughter going for driving lessons and I wish to source wheels soon (ish).

requirements are.

> abs. (No compromise)
> Diesel, (if poss)
> A/C (would be nice)
> Group 6 or lower insurance
> 4K ish to spend

I know this money etc gets me into quite late middle mileage mondeo territory but the 1.8 at group 9 is a bit on the high side. All sensible inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.
Daughter/car - Ben79
Citroen Xsara.

1.4 and 40mpg Group 6, 0-60=sensible, Air Con, cheap as chips.

Ben
Daughter/car - DavidHM
Can't think of much else with ABS for this money.

Whatever, I suspect it's going to have zero image.
Daughter/car - puntoo
Why ABS ? it will only give your daughter a false sense of security, so why not drop the option and spend the money on sending your daughter on one of those skid pan days or similar and buying a new car. (Better to be able to control a car than rely on something that in my experience is rarely used).

Polo/Lupo (or seat versions) would be my choice.
Daughter/car - Ben79
ABS is of benefit to even the best driver. We are all human and make mistakes. If a computer can save my life, then it is a small investment to make.
Daughter/car - puntoo
Xsara point taken

But did you learn in a car with ABS, and if you did learn in a car with ABS and then drove one without ABS, your instinct would be to slam the breaks as hard as possible (with possible fatel results).
Xsara point taken
But did you learn in a car with ABS, and if
you did learn in a car with ABS and then drove
one without ABS, your instinct would be to slam the breaks
as hard as possible (with possible fatel results).
Firstly you say "rarely used" and next you say your instinct in a non ABS car would be to slam the brakes. I'm confused and i don't necessarily think I'm the only one!

Regards.
Daughter/car - RichardW
>I'm confused and i don't necessarily think I'm the only one!

ABS is a device to allow you to steer under heavy braking. It is NOT designed to improve stopping distances. What happens to most people with ABS is that they brake hard engouh to activate it and either:

a) keep the pressure up and drive straight into whatever they could have avoided
b) activate the ABS then back off when it starts to make an awful noise, and drive into what ever they could have avoided.

ABS requries practice to get the most out of it.

Activating the ABS / locking the wheel should prompt the driver to question what he was doing, and to see how he could have avoided it.

Richard
Dear Richard,

Sorry, i'm far from confused re ABS rather Puntoo's post.

Regards.
Why ABS ? it will only give your daughter a false
sense of security, so why not drop the option and spend
the money on sending your daughter on one of those skid
pan days or similar and buying a new car. (Better to
be able to control a car than rely on something that
in my experience is rarely used).
Polo/Lupo (or seat versions) would be my choice.

Because I have the choice and therefore I choose!

Regards.
Ben,

What is your exact model and was ABS standard fit?

Regards, martin.
Daughter/car - Mark (RLBS)
I would never send an inexperienced driver out without ABS because it would help [sic] her learn.

How about we let the tyres down, make the engine misfire, and break the driver's seat - you know, to help her learn how to deal with these things in the future. Perhaps we should dim the lights and disconnect the indicators as well. After all, some time she might have to use hand signals.

I am an experienced driver and I would always drive a car with ABS if I can. If I need to drive one without, then I am careful.
Daughter/car - Toad, of Toad Hall.
I would never send an inexperienced driver out without ABS because
it would help [sic] her learn.
How about we let the tyres down, make the engine misfire,
and break the driver's seat - you know, to help her
learn how to deal with these things in the future. Perhaps
we should dim the lights and disconnect the indicators as well.
After all, some time she might have to use hand signals.

I agree 100 per cent! Always made me laugh when people at the sailing club used conventional Nav becuase the GPS and Decca might cease to work.

For christ's sake. The mast might break, should they sail without masts?
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
Daughter/car - paulbounty
I drove cars and vans without ABS for years, I now have a car
with ABS. I wouldn't buy a car without ABS as its much better.
Daughter/car - Tony N
I used to hate ABS, intrusive and all that. It might be true that experianced drivers could cope better than some of the early systems but the latest multi-channel systems are a life safer - can you brake each wheel independtly? The F1 boys seem to have all the gadgets...
Dear All,

With the greatest respect I asked about cars, (choice etc.), not ABS. I am up to speed, (no pun intended), with ABS. Just cars, OK??

Thanks all and Regards.
Daughter/car - Ben79
Some ABS systems are more intrusive than others. For example, the ABS on my mark 1 Xsara vibrates the pedal more than the newer ones with elecronic brake force distribution and brake assist. But both work well, far better than normal brakes.

Find an empty car park (big and empty) ideally when slightly damp to save tyre wear, and have a few practises. Get used to the feeling of the vibrating pedal and steering at the same time.

It may be easier for a learner to get used to ABS braking and steering at the same time than somebody who has driven conventionally braked cars for a long time.

Winter driving has some advantages on non-abs cars, but the benefits of abs outweigh the drawbacks.

Ben
Daughter/car - Ben79
I drive a 1999 V Xsara 1.4i West Coast. ABS and Air Con are standard.

I believe ABS is standard on all Xsara from mid 1999 (T reg) even the bottom of the range X model.

I can't believe that some cars (i.e 206) still have ABS as a relatively low cost option.

Ben