Illegal Car trading on private land - shek

Hi

I hope someone can assist. For the past 6 months there has been illegal trading from a land owner which is clearly viewed from my home. Different people arrive back and forth and cars that were in the field are now parked in the street! Two of the cars have the same date of liability which will be the 1/08/13 when I checked on DVLA. I have most of the car registration numbers and some have been dumped on another piece of land near me.

I have taken a diary of events and photograps as well as registration numbers of cars and passed it all to trading standards in teh council but they said that it would just be filed for future intellegence! Meaning that they are not pursuing the case after interviewing the land owner in question he denied any car selling!

Is there anything more that I can do??? Or is there an ombudsman?

Thanks

Parr

Illegal Car trading on private land - daveyjp
Call the local planning authority, running a business from home is not an offence, running a car trading business is. HMRC may also be interested.

Thanks already done so and got this reply form the trading standards in our local council:

P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; }

The matter was investigated by me and on the 13th June 2013 when I made an appointment to meet Mr ****** at this field to discuss the matter drawn to my attention. I can confirm I was informed his son had tried to sell vehicles but this enterprise by his son had failed and that the majority of the vehicles were now going to be scrapped. (This is incorrect as 2 of the cars are now parked on the street which were in Mr ****** and in his field) He also confirmed several of the cars were old disused cars belonging to family members and were just parked at the field.

So after an interview that is validated as an investigation??

Illegal Car trading on private land - tony g
Hi,
A good starting place would be your local council ,its illegal to trade from premises without planning permission .it does take a while for them to take any action .

You could contact customs and excise ,every town has a local office .its unlikely they will be paying tax or vat .

If the cars are out of tax ,contact the local police ,they will have the cars lifted ,our local police operate a wall to wall policy ,so a car parked on a grass verge ,although not on the road can be impounded ,if its not taxed .

Finally consider your personal safety as you start to take action to remove these traders .I work in the used car business and it attracts some real villains ,they could turn really nasty if you annoy them .

I'm not aware of an ombudsman that could help ,in addition I'm pretty certain it's not a trading standards issue .

Contacted planning department they are looking into it. Another neighbour has reported all the cars to HMRC.

Wil the police not tell me to contact dvla or HMRC?

He has also issued threats to me and the police are involved too.

I was thinking of complaining if the outcome is poor from the council.

Illegal Car trading on private land - Armitage Shanks {p}

If he has threatened you report that to the police. Send the Reg Nos to DVLA for them to ascertain if they are taxed or SORN and what about the requirement for "Continuous Insurance" of which I am aware but don't fully understand?

I've sent all the car registration numbers to DVLA via. there website. I wonder how long it will take for them to investigate. hmm insurance, Ill see if there is a free service on ASKMID.

Thanks !

Illegal Car trading on private land - tony g

(Wil the police not tell me to contact dvla or HMRC )

No ,the police will only get involved if there's been a criminal act or the threat of one.

Thanks I have reported it to the police and he has been warne dthat his behaviour is inappropriate and if there is one more incident then they will be taking action. Which is very reassuring.