Jeep Patriot 09 - Faulty gearbox - tornado17

I purchased a Jeep Patriot from a well known car supermarket in 2011, since I have had the car it has been in and out of the Jeep garage more times than I can count on one hand for various problems. The issue I have at present is to do with the gearbox, bearing in mind this Jeep has been in for gearbox problems (that a technitian picked up whilest in for a diffrent fault) at least four times previous, each time the gearbox has been stripped down and built back up. I have been assured by an independant garage that the problem is the third gear synchromesh, this was relayed to Jeep customer relations and we were told that as the car is out of warranty we will be liable to pick up the bill. We have opend a complaint as it seems just totally wrong for your tires to outlast a gearbox, and in particular as it has only just done 32k miles. I received a phone call yesterday from the Jeep dealership who have spoken to Jeep themselves, they said that it needs a new box since the amount of times it's been opened up will have caused swarf to enter it, and they don't want to risk opening it up to repair it, The total cost for this is £3,900 and Jeep have said they will pay £1,900 as "a goodwill gesture" I'm afraid I feel they should be picking up the whole bill as it is down to the gearbox being faulty from the start.

Please has anyone any advice they can give me as to what to do next, needless to say it will not be getting fixed at that price, and I will be continuing motoring without the use of third gear as long as possible.

Jeep Patriot 09 - Faulty gearbox - Peter.N.

Is this any good, there are others on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JEEP-CHEROKEE-DIESEL-BREAKING-98-01-Manual-Gearbox-/120824978763?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c21badd4b

When I said advice I really meant is it worth trying to persue this with Jeep, or has anyone else had an experience like this I could glean some information from?

Edited by tornado17 on 19/07/2013 at 20:15

Jeep Patriot 09 - Faulty gearbox - gordonbennet

Has the gearbox only been touched by the Main Dealer, and is the service history up to date also main dealer.

Has the Main Dealer been fixing (term used loosely) the gearbox under warranty each time, if yes to all as far as i'm concerned this is an ongoing problem and having failed to repair it they are obliged IMO to put it right.

However if the service history is incomplete or someone other than the main dealer has been servcing the car or worse still poking about with the box then i think they can wash their hands of it, in which case the goodwill gesture might be worth considering if there are no further charges, ie labour on top @ £120 or whatever ridiculous figure people are prepared to stump up per hour these days.

That swarf excuse is a howler, and no doubt you'll remember all of this when you buy your next car, and another lesson for all about car supermarkets..i bet they were really helpful with this?

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/07/2013 at 20:16

All dealt with by the main dealership including services and MOT,also Jeep technical team have been out to it on one occasion! I too class as an ongoing issue but how can you explain this to a team sat behind a desk acting as middle men between you and Jeep?

Jeep Patriot 09 - Faulty gearbox - gordonbennet

Ah good, if you have paperwork to back up the previous and now ongoing gearbox work, i think its time to escalate, certainly past the admin service receptionists.

If twer me i'd set it all out in writing to the main dealer, then in writing to the head office of the importer presumably Chrylser UK.

If still no joy and exhausted all channels, i'd give it a go via small claims.

I was thinking along those lines but just needed a little reassurance this is the way to go,

thanks gordonbennet

Jeep Patriot 09 - Faulty gearbox - Sir Lancelot

Suggest that you contact Trading Standards.