4x4 - 4x4 Changing car advice - strath

I have a 2 year old Volvo XC60 SE Geartronic AWD and looking for advice as to when is the best time to change to either a new shape XC60 or a BMW X3 2.0d xdrive auto SE taking into consideration depreciation of my XC60 with a new shape coming out i.e. change now or next year ? Also which car would be best to change to living in Scotland and need a 4x4 for occasional snow conditions (rural area) and to carry a sea kayak on roof ??

Many Thanks

4x4 - 4x4 Changing car advice - Falkirk Bairn

My son had an XC60 and approached 2/3 volvo garages for a new one T/I is 30,000 mile 2.5 yr old car. the difference between the quotes was in the order of £7,000!!!! - this was 6 months ago. The Volvo had required nothing but servicing/tyres and brakes.

So if you are looking to swap - shop around a few Volvo dealers as there appear to be deals to be done.

Then out of the blue he bought a Cayenne - markedly dearer but really nice. Even after splashing £10K + on "extras" he has fewer toys for his £57K than I have on my EX CRV that cost me £20.5K brand new. I realise we are not comparing like for like but I am 30 years older and meaner.

4x4 - 4x4 Changing car advice - RT

I only change cars when there's a fundamental model change - 6/7 years typically - average depreciation is much lower and high maintenance hasn't kicked in.

Personally, I'd wait until the XC60 is moved off the Ford platform with Peugeot diesels onto the Volvo SPA platform and VEA engine - rather than the 2014 model year facelift.