Sidevalve Fords - Anti-freezes? - alastairq

I 've read in the past, about different types of anti-freeze coolants..and how we must be careful which we use, depending on the types of metal and stuff the coolant is in contact with?

I'm referring to older technology engines, rather than 'modern' one's [where the maker simply tells us what to use?]....and I read that Rolls Royce [the real RR, not the current shadow?] used to recommend the use of Fernox [as used in central heating systems,??] in the cooling system?

Has anybody any experience of using this stuff, as an antifreeze coolant?

I ask because I have very old engines, with mixed metals [iron, copper, aluminium, brass, rubber, silicon, and stuff]...and I have concerns over using antifreezes sold by the likes of Halfords, et al.

Bear in mind, I'm also after anti-corrosion properties too?

Sidevalve Fords - Anti-freezes? - bathtub tom

Fernox traditionally make an corrosion inhibitor for central heating systems. They also manufacture numerous other products aimed at heating systems and may include an anti-freeze for solar water heating. I'd suggest these systems are not dissimilar to car cooling systems, but they're different.

Wouldn't you be better approaching a car anti-freeze manufacturer and asking them?

Sidevalve Fords - Anti-freezes? - jc2

The metal mix on modern engines is vastly more complex than side valve Fords ever were and so are the anti-corrosion chemicals in modern A/F.That's why most modern A/F is OK for five years and some for ten.

Sidevalve Fords - Anti-freezes? - Peter.N.

I would agree with the above, a standard antifreeze + fernox would be a belt and braces job, fernox is not an antifreeze of course.

When I remember side valve Fords most people couldn't afford antifreeze so they drained the water out every night - or forgot, you could usually get away with replacing a couple of core plugs.

The only problem with seeking advice from manufacturers is, due to the passage of time, the advice given is often 'flawed'...

Not any fault of the advisor...in my case, sidevalve Ford engines went out the year the mini came in!

Modern cars [those from 1960-70 onwards, in my eyes] contain materials not dissimilar to those of today [a little less plastic, perhaps?}

Older cars have more in common with steam engines, materials-wise!

Trouble is, as the years pass, so common consumables like anti-freeze [or, even, petrol?] have been changed....adapted to suit modern vehicles.

And these can prove quite harmful to the interiors of older engines, cooling systems, etc.

Sidevalve Fords - Anti-freezes? - jc2

The old Fords had cast iron in the block and copper(& brass) in the radiator-a few rubber hoses and that was it..Not like nowadays.Yes,modern petrol has minimal lead in it so valve seats will not last as long but they're hardened to make up for that.

Mine has an aluminium cyl.head, an alloy water pump, alloy [ie, solid] coolant pipes, brass rad header tank, etc. [not forgetting modern silicon pipe to connect,etc].

It isn't a 'standard' Ford 10 motor....but it is old [apart from the silicon and ally pipes]....I'm more interested in inhibiting corrosion as well.....

http://www.fernox.com/files/Fernox/Content/PDF/English/Alphi%2011%205L.pdf

Above is the stuff......apparently [I haven't asked them]' it is what Rolls Royce recommend.......

Sidevalve Fords - Anti-freezes? - madf

My briother and I ran sidecalve E93A Fords when students. Used cheap Bluecol when we could afford it: plain water when not. Cast iron everything ... corrosion was very slow..

The 26mpg was not an issue as petrol was dirt cheap... before OPEC etc..

Sidevalve Fords - Anti-freezes? - MrDanno

The problem using modern OAT type coolants in old cars is they eat away at the solder on the radiators.

A friend of mine was using fernox in his 1960's Hillman 20 years ago and as far as I know he still does.

The Ford side valve engine I am familier with didn't have a water pump so there was only iron and copper in which case the above would be useful, but if this is some special application I would guess you have a plastic/aluminium radiator.

The Ford side valve engine I am familier with didn't have a water pump so there was only iron and copper in which case the above would be useful, but if this is some special application I would guess you have a plastic/aluminium radiator.

The water pump was an export item...separate from the engine block [unlike the 100E sidevalve motor].......not fitted to [UK] production cars.

The radiator is an item from the same period as the engine, so is soldered. [I know..I've repaired it]

BAck in the 1950's, and onwards..the Ford sidevalve engine/driveline [and associated chassis in some cases] was seen as the ideal way to produce one's own special.

Indeed, major sports car manufacturers [or, what they became?] all used the Ford sidevalve engine [in both forms]..and gearboxes for cheap, reliable running gear.

These include Morgan, Lotus, Dellow, Buckler, TVR, Rochdale, and a multitude of racing car makers.

The original cooling system [thermo-syphon] wasn't appropriate for low bonnet lines, so water pumps were added to the E93A [or, more appropriately, 10 HP] engines.

After-market pumps were also available [Aquaplane is one]...but these were made in alloy, to be significantly lighter.

Soldered joints could also be found on things like 'header' tanks, pipe unions, etc...so even if a modern radiator was fitted, consideration still needs to be made regarding what stuff one fills the cooling system with?

Same with stuff like gear oil, etc!

I also ran a E93A sidevalve special for a while.......

My first car was a '39 Prefect, very basic but to own a car of any sort in the '50s was a result.

One issue with having no water pump was no heater so I made up a metal plate to cover part of the top of the radiator and fitted a length of trunking from the hole in the middle to inside the car, not very effective but it stopped you from getting frostbite.

Sidevalve Fords - Anti-freezes? - focussed

I had a heater on my 1947 Ford Anglia. Found an old Tudor circular heater on a car in a scapyard complete with a water pump that strapped onto the dynamo and was driven by a 6 inch diameter flat pulley that was spring loaded onto the back of the dynamo belt.

Trouble was the dynamo could hardly put out enough output to cope with headlights AND a heater blower - happy days!

They were the days! You could up the output of the dynamo by connecting the third sliding brush direct to the output.

I had a chap make up and 8 volt battery for mine, four cells of a 12 volt case, that improved everything but the charge rate, that's when I did the above mod.

Nostalgia rules OK it seems. I remember driving up hills in rain. The vacuum wipers just stopped.

And standing on the chassis in th engine compartment on a Prefect helping my brother lift out the engine by hand.. no winch. I used to do power weightlifting..

Yes, that too.