Car-sharing, eh? - HandCart

Well, it’s heart-bolstering that they’ve publicly admitted it didn’t work and are removing the restrictions:

http://tinyurl.com/ng44yez

The thing with car-sharing is that if it’s feasible, people are usually already doing it. With people nowadays commuting large distances from all over the place in order to have a job, and to keep sweet with the boss often having to put extra unpaid time in NOT on the same day as your colleague has to, car-sharing is difficult. I’ve seen 2 groups at my workplace start to do it with all good intentions and then abandon the idea just a few weeks later.

So it doesn’t surprise me that this experiment didn’t result in a big increase in car-sharing. When I’ve used that road, the result seemed to be a queue in one lane rather than two, but twice as long, and the 2+ lane often being used illegally. Surprising that the %age of illegal use was only 30%, seeing as it was unpoliced.

I also note there’s a feedback comment lower down the page from someone called Collos25..

Bradford does have a district called “Little Germany”. (?)

Car-sharing, eh? - Engineer Andy

Amazing, but not surprising that they spent £300k on a scheme without any cameras and staff to enforce the car sharing lane - and these are the very people who say that councils are skint and have to close easy targets (that stir up emotion [its all the evil government cuts! Booo!]) libraries, swimming pools and day centres.

Funny how they always can find funds for hair-brained schemes such as these (it wouldn't surprise me if all the original "feasibility reports" were, shall we say, "biased") and service that the public (and especially the less well off) actually use.

There's a similar sort of thing near me in Cambridge - a (relatively new - year or so old) link road running from the M11/A10 junction to Addenbrookes Hospital, which is supposedly only for staff and patients, "enforced" during the rush hours, but all the council and police can do is write to the individuals concerned with a stern letter (no fines are legal as far as I know), as the road is not a private road and isn't limited to emergency services vehicles. Seems rather a waste to use the cameras and write the letters, especially as soon they'll be thousands more using it when the large housing development next door is completed!

Car-sharing, eh? - daveyjp
The first 2+ lane in Leeds is the same. No one patrols it, I'm thankful I rarely use it as last time I did plenty of cars using it had only one person, including numerous taxis which aren't exempt and even three buses which were all out of service and only carrying the driver.

As regards the money spent you will find most schemes such as this are thought up in Whitehall and Council's have to bid for funding. If roads in their area meet criteria they often have to bid to ensure money for other schemes is awarded.

As regards car sharing there are plenty of companies who could introduce schemes, but until parking cars becomes a problem they don't do it. I wonder if Nottingham's car park space tax has lead to an increase in sharing?
Car-sharing, eh? - Sofa Spud

Presumably a businessman in a chauffeur-driven limo could use the car sharing lane but a pensioner driving alone in an old Fiesta couldn't.

Car sharing might be a good idea, but car sharing lanes are NOT a good idea!

Perhaps Bristol City Council could be inspired by this and scrap the long and pointless bus lane on the A4 Portway.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 28/06/2013 at 21:36

Car-sharing, eh? - Andrew-T

The thing with car-sharing is that if it’s feasible, people are usually already doing it. With people nowadays commuting large distances from all over the place in order to have a job, and to keep sweet with the boss often having to put extra unpaid time in NOT on the same day as your colleague has to, car-sharing is difficult.

When I started work at a large site in the late 60s, most people did 8:45 to 5pm and many travelled on a works bus. Some others shared a weekly car rota and the rest walked or cycled to work. Gradually car ownership increased, but when companies introduced flexitime to ease congestion, sharing became less convenient. These days workers commute a lot further and the whole idea is usually impossible.

Car-sharing, eh? - Collos25

The worst thing about the one in Bradford it cost 300k of tax payers money and the coucillor whos brilliant idea this was had been told before hand it would not work, the police had raid they would not patrol it, no money was available for any camaras but because reasons only known to them they gave the go ahead.

Car-sharing, eh? - daveyjp
"These days workers commute a lot further and the whole idea is usually impossible."

Any evidence? Its generally 'impossible' because of management not being interested.

Jaguar Landrover thought they were going to have to spend millions on a new car park for hundreds of new employees. Management weren't too impressed with this so took some advice.

Instead of building a car park, they bought an A- Z flat map of the area, stuck it on a wall and employees 'pinned' their address. Workers then found car sharing partners. Jaguar landrover didn't need the new car park and fewer cars on the road.
Car-sharing, eh? - RT

Given that we've had a recession so fewer people working - who the **** are in all the cars clogging up our main roads from 7-9 in the morning and 5-7 in the evening - the reality is that they're the people having to travel further to find a job !!

Car-sharing, eh? - Andrew-T
"These days workers commute a lot further and the whole idea is usually impossible." Any evidence? Its generally 'impossible' because of management not being interested.

Maybe 'impossible' was the wrong word. I might have said 'very difficult to keep going for a long time'. I guess people working to a fixed shift pattern could do it, but flexible working must lead to independent travel.