E30 318IS - Matt
Just bought an H-reg (E30) BMW 318IS (16valve engine). The only problem is a pronounced and vaguely irritating rasping sound from up front only between 3000 revs and 3700 revs - I thought was the exhaust so put it on the ramp and the exhaust is very solid. Any ideas. Also anything in general that I should watch out for with this car? Thanks!
E30 318IS - John S
Matt

The exhaust may look solid from the outside, but this could be loose internal components in a silencer, which won't be visible. I can't remember the exhaust layout on these. There could be a small crack somewhere on the manifold or on the top of the exhaust, not visible from below. Have you checked for leaks by holding a rag hard over the tailpipe whilst it idles?

Regards

John S
E30 318IS - Matt
Thanks John, I'll try the rag trick-It sounds to me as though you might be right about a loose manifold though as I've heard this could be a problem before.
E30 318IS - John S
Matt

Yes, you are right. Apparently exhaust manifold studs can fail, so that's another point to check. These tend to make the car noisy on start-up, though, rather than at specific engine speeds.

Regards

John S