Focus - Used 98/99 hatchback under £1000 - logger

Looking for reliable, cheapish, good hatchback and I have narrowed it down to the Ford Focus (1.6/1.8) , Honda Civic (1.4/1.5), and Mazda 323(1.6)

It looks like I would only be able to afford around the 98/99 models. I has to be manual as I want to use it to help my son to drive

Any views on these

Focus - Used 98/99 hatchback under £1000 - elekie&a/c doctor

The Focus is the best driving car here.The 1.6 is probably the best bet for a novice driver as spares are plentiful and cheap if he prangs it.hth

Focus - Used 98/99 hatchback under £1000 - Graham567

The Focus 1.6 might be ok to learn to drive in but if he passes his test, then with a 1.6 engine, the insurance would be very expensive for a new driver.

Focus - Used 98/99 hatchback under £1000 - Cyd

IMO Video has read between the lines beautifully here:

I'd agree that if this is going to be your sons car once he's passed his test then something along the lines of a small engined Fiesta or Corsa would be more appropriate. Anything bigger is likely to cost you two arms and two legs to insure for the first couple of years while he builds up some NCD.

If it's genuinely going to be your car and your son will genuinely be an additional driver, then the Focus would be best pick from your list. Tons about, cheap and spares plentiful.

Be worth getting some insurance quotes to help with the decision though.

Focus - Used 98/99 hatchback under £1000 - logger

Thanks for that..

The reason I am looking may seem odd.. We already have a classic golf 1.8Gti (donated by my brother ) for my son which because its a classic is only £900 for me and him to drive...BUT its got no PAS which around the streets where his test is makes it very difficult for him. I have an auto subaru legacy ., cracking car, but I am happy to sacrifice that for a cheap manual run around which will satisfy both our needs..him PAS, and easy to drive, me cheap insurance and reliable..

Thanks

Focus - Used 98/99 hatchback under £1000 - Cyd

Then buy him some lessons and use the instructors car. A thousand quid will buy an awful lot of lessons and the professional tuition will be invaluable.