1.4 SXI - Astra Engine Fail - mayfield4

Hi,

My engine started to make a grinding noise last night, then oil light came on then it conked out. Was on the M62 so had to call the AA. I wasn't driving long, it all happened within seconds of the noise. The man came and said rod or rods have broken in engine and made a hole in the oil sump. He may as well have been speaking in Chinese as i'm not mechanically minded at all, but car doesnt start and i had to be towed home, so i wanted to ask you good folk here - ...

Is the car trashed? Its only done 43 ,000 miles with me as the owner, and it's been driven with good care and oil topped up etc etc, so it does seem harsh that a 7 year old car claps out when there are old bangers on the road.

Google reckons it was worth about £2500. If i new a new engine, is it worth it? I don't really want to pay for a local garage to tow it away, then charge me for inspecting it, then to tell me its gonna cost £2000 to fix, i'd rather just cut my losses and scrap it.

Any advice thankfully appreciated as i'm really not up on cars at all.

Thanks guys.

1.4 SXI - Astra Engine Fail - Galaxy

I'd probably get someone to supply and fit a known good second hand engine. It certainly wouldn't justify fitting a brand new one to a 7 year old car; it would cost thousands.

You need to ask around locally.